Recent content by charlesr1958

1. charlesr1958

Mystery Worm

Hard to say without seeing its head structures better. Check the worm section within the below link. Live Rock Hitch Hikers Chuck
  2. charlesr1958

Are these tube sponges?

Agreed, they appear to be Palythoa. Chuck
  3. charlesr1958

what is this snail?

Hard to say without much better details of it, but ya might want to look at the whelks. Chuck
  4. charlesr1958

What the-

Its a flatworm. Chuck
  5. charlesr1958

String of ??? - blobs/eggs/hydroids ???

Yeah, the "white lines" is what I focused on, the "blob" mentioned is probably a sponge. Chuck
  6. charlesr1958

String of ??? - blobs/eggs/hydroids ???

They appear to be a "feather duster" worm, harmless filter feeders that are quite common in cryptic, high flow areas. Chuck
  7. charlesr1958

What is this? Is it bad? if it is how do i get rid of it?!?!

Its a Caulerpa species and as long as any of its root-like holdfasts are left behind when you pull it, it will simply grow back. With a 220 gallon tank, I would suggest a proper clean up crew that includes one or more brown scopas tangs and a LOT of snails to help with the hair algae. I...
  8. charlesr1958

Barnacle in my hammer

Depends on the species of barnacle as well, if it is a barnacle that is. Some of the larger ones can kill off a coral's polyp while other, smaller species don't seem to do much harm. At the very bottom of this page I have photo examples of both if you care to compare. Chuck
  9. charlesr1958

Educational Reef Video

This video was created by the local Mactan Aquarium and is shown to all visiting school children and is also distributed throughout the local school system as well. Quite shocking at first but there is a bright side and I'm thrilled to see such educational material being produced localy...
  10. charlesr1958

Can anyone help with an ID - round purple growth?

Its only bad if it grows and spreads so much as to become a pest. For removal, I've always used a dull blade such as a butter knife and scratch them off of the rock so as to get as much of their holdfasts as possible to prevent regrowth, that and try not to burst the algae as they could hold...
  11. charlesr1958

Can anyone help with an ID - round purple growth?

Botryocladia skottsbergii ( red grape/bubble algae) Chuck
  12. charlesr1958

little red fuzzy things

Thanks.
  13. charlesr1958

little red fuzzy things

Looks to be a commonly found Foraminiferan, which as you already guessed, trap/catch food and detritus as it passes by in the water flow. Chuck
  14. charlesr1958

tank comes alive at night

Do you have any shrimp in the aquarium? Because those sure do look like larval shrimp. Chuck
  15. charlesr1958

strange worm captured - need ID

Given the description of its color I would say that its likely a Eunicid spp. and if so, something to remove if you can catch it. Chuck