tank comes alive at night

l3fty999

I'm not real sure how they got in there, but I have a larval crustacean of some sort, it's either some kind of mysis or maybe a krill. I first noticed them when the main lights turned off and the moon lights turned on. At first, it appeared as though something stirred up a little debris, but upon closer examination, I could see that these "particles" were moving on their own. Anyway, I know that a picture is worth a thousand words, so here you go. The first shot is my tank at night, the other two were taken with my microscope, two different lighting options.

Attachments

• PA300070.JPG
    PA300070.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 148
  • critter5.jpg
    critter5.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 146
  • critter4.jpg
    critter4.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 146

l3fty999

That looks like Mysid shrimp

I have one fire shrimp and one pistol shrimp that I know of. I say "that I know of" because the pistol shrimp was a hitchhiker. I've been to several sites dedicated to plankton and I narrowed it down to some kind of mysid, but some of the krill larvae also looked similar. I would really like to know how they got in there, because I haven't added anything in months. I have used frozen mysis shrimp to feed my tank's inhabitants, but I'm sure if any eggs were in there they wouldn't be any good since they were frozen. At any rate, it's nice to see food show up naturally in my tank.

Aaron

Frankie

RS STAFF
Great pictures! I sent a pm to Boomer for a more accurate ID. I am guessing some type of shrimp myself.

l3fty999

Great pictures! I sent a pm to Boomer for a more accurate ID. I am guessing some type of shrimp myself.

Thank you, a positive ID would be cool. As far as the pics go, the first one was taken with an Olympus SP500UZ. Because of the low light and the fact that they didn't want to cooperate, I had to monkey with some of the manual settings (very nice set of features to have) and take several pics before I got one that I felt was good enough. The other two were taken using the DR Instruments Reefer's Digi-Microscope I bought from Live Aquaria. I started wearing gloves right after I began using it.:rolleyes:

Aaron

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Eddie has it correct they are Mysid shrimp

wholems3.jpg

l3fty999

Eddie has it correct they are Mysid shrimp

wholems3.jpg

That's kinda what I was thinking now that they're getting bigger. Now to figure out where they came from. I haven't added any major amounts of live rock in several months, although I did score some free rubble from the lfs about a month and a half ago. However, that tank is well established, doesn't get any new live rock and doesn't appear to have any kind of shrimp in it. I have also used "reef bugs", which supposedly will add live planktonic critters to the tank. Is it possible that eggs could have made it in that way? I didn't think so myself, considering that I've been using that for quite a while and didn't see any kind of shrimp larvae before. Well, enough rambling for now, and Boomer, thanks for your input!

Aaron

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Probably came in with the rock or the rubble. Mysids are a very tiny shrimp and you probably just didn't see them till they multiplied. I have them too and figure they must have come in with the rock or some chaeto I added.

l3fty999

Probably came in with the rock or the rubble. Mysids are a very tiny shrimp and you probably just didn't see them till they multiplied. I have them too and figure they must have come in with the rock or some chaeto I added.

You know, I got to thinking, at one time I had more fish in there and they were probably keeping the population down to levels that wouldn't be noticeable unless I was looking for them. By the way, they are now big enough to be seen at a few feet from the tank without any magnification.

Aaron