Can anyone help with an ID - round purple growth?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Can anyone ID my new round purple growth, that just popped up on a piece of my Live rock?

They have orange specs on them, they look about like the shape & size of button mushrooms...

IMG_0700mush.jpg

They are kind of pretty :) hope they are not bad... any ideas?

sambrinar

Hmm interesting, guessing maybe a truncate? or sponge? doesn't look like bubble algae to me, that was another possibility

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I need a clear pic. The only thing that I can find that looks like that and there are no pics on the net, is Erythrymenia sp a red algae from the South Indo-Pacific.

You are not the only one with it. It is also on another forum tonight.

index.php

Last edited:

goldenmean

looks like a type of red bubble algae to me.
I have been fighting it in one of my tanks.
While not exactly the same they look pretty similar

Attachments

• RBA5.jpg
    RBA5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 135

charlesr1958

Its only bad if it grows and spreads so much as to become a pest. For removal, I've always used a dull blade such as a butter knife and scratch them off of the rock so as to get as much of their holdfasts as possible to prevent regrowth, that and try not to burst the algae as they could hold spores which could settle and spread even more. If you can remove the rock and do all of that in a bucket of tank water (toss out the water when finished), that would be best.

Chuck

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
In size it's about 1 inch tall & 3/4" across the top... a size like a small mushroom from the grocery store... if that help... hard to tell size in pics...

I guess it could be a type of bubble alage, but not round & I have seen green bubble alage, looks like the link I posted above only green... this looks like a mushroom... in shape & size... if that helps any...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the feedback everyone !

it does look a bit like the pics in goldenmean post though... Bommer any link to any more pics of similar, that you know of?

goldenmean

I would manually remove it as Charlesr instructed.
I left the first patch of red bubble algae alone and it quickly spread.
It has now taken over my nearly 4yo nano.
A couple of weeks ago i spent about 8 hours removing ever piece of rock in the tank and scrubbing the rba off. It is coming back again.
I know this is a war that i will not easily win. I may just start over with all new LR if I get battle weary.

So you would be wise in removing it while you can.
See haw it was killing my pagoda cup?
Also be careful with toadstool leathers ! They can take over a tank too as you can see but my clowns love it LOL.

Attachments

• RBA6.jpg
    RBA6.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 49

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Nano I agree it is not so called "red bubble " algae like Botryocladia. All those we have posted pics of and the link you gave are the same red algae. And the one pic I have of Erythrymenia looks similar but not qutie the same, as the "spots" are more or less equally spaced on my pic. I have not found anything yet but am still looking.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for everyone's help... removed :)

Having now touched it & examined it closer... I am pretty confident it was some type/variation maybe some what rare red bubble algae...

again thanks !