Fish & Reef Obsession

Fish Crazy

Today was gathering day - we ended up a 3 different stores to find all of the plumbing fittings we need so I have all the unions, check valve, gate valves, elbows, etc to make the Durso Standpipes and everything for the returns.

It's starting to seem real :)

Fish Crazy

Sometimes you need extra help to get things done so here is our supervisor for this skimmer assembly

Skimmer_3.JPG
[/IMG]

Fish Crazy

Jack_Tank.JPG
[/IMG]

Special Delivery by Jack and son of the new tank and stand (in order to get a picture of Jack I had to have the camera ready and take it before he realized I had the camera :apimp:)

Fish Crazy

So here is the new tank and stand sitting in the garage after we finally got it off Jack's truck

It was a very tight fit in the garage - we had to fit the tank and the stand and still get the Porsche in there as well - maybe I should clean out the garage some day He He

Tank_Stnd.JPG
[/IMG]

Fish Crazy

Here is the location for the new tank - we have to move the old tank and put down new flooring so there is lots of work to be done

New_Location.JPG
[/IMG]

Fish Crazy

So when Gaston is not supervising our work here is one of the other supervisors for this 180g build - Chauncey

Chauncey.JPG
[/IMG]

Fish Crazy

OK so here is the plan - We went to buy some flooring to put under the tank area since we want to pull up the carpet and replace it throughout the house anyway and instead of buying a small bit for under the tank we got a great deal on flooring and so purchased enough for the entire house, but we have to install the lameninet which will be here on Tues.

So my hope is that we can kick butt and have the room ready by next week end - so everytime our knees are killing us then I'll just go look at the new tank sitting in the garage for motivation

Techno-Vicki

Jack_Tank.JPG
[/IMG]

Special Delivery by Jack and son of the new tank and stand (in order to get a picture of Jack I had to have the camera ready and take it before he realized I had the camera :apimp:)
Good Going getting the 'sneak shot'. That is the only way I can get them as well:) Looks good girls. Very exciting setting up a new tank. I like the terminator as well. Mine is doing a great job.

Fish Crazy

OK so this sucks we can't put the tank in the house and I can only go look at it in the garage - very sad :( so I guess I'll have to plan - how much rock should I put in the 180? And how deep should the sand bed be, my other tanks are 4" on average

tbittner

For LR, somewhere between 180 and 270 lbs. That's a lot of rock! But I'd recommend buying 270 - 300 lbs, use whatever you can/need to make your aquascaping the way you want it, and put the rest in your sump/fuge. It doesn't matter where in the system the rock is, it still does it's magic.

For sand, I'm now a firm believer in a DSB. But it also depends on what you want to keep. If you want to keep sand burrowing fish, then you should have at least a 6" sand bed. For biological reasons, you should have a 6" sand bed, if you want the sand bed to be a part of your filtration that is.

Fish Crazy

Terry thanks for the advice we will have to buy more rock and probably sand as we have a diamond goby, Dragon Wrasse, and Yellow Wrasse, and Emrald Wrasse as well as a sand sifting star and they all like DSB

Know of any good sources for rock and sand?

WatchinFish

Here is my first saltwater tank the 58gal Oceanic Reef on day 3 of it being set up in June 2006 - the clowns I still have and they will go into the new tank

beautifull. i had heard you cant mix two types of clowns together. how did you manage that. and can i do it. i have a mated pair or perculas. or are they ocellaris. cant tell. my LFS said they were wild cought so im guessing perculas

tbittner

Terry thanks for the advice we will have to buy more rock and probably sand as we have a diamond goby, Dragon Wrasse, and Yellow Wrasse, and Emrald Wrasse as well as a sand sifting star and they all like DSB

Know of any good sources for rock and sand?

I bought sand from Drs Foster and Smith. It doesn't matter how much sand you buy, they'll ship it to you for $18. I bought 900 lbs of sand and they shipped it for $18. Out of all of them, I like the Aragonite Select the best. It comes dry though, so it's not alive. I seriously doubt if it matters though. But they have all kinds. I'd stay away from Crushed Coral. It looks nasty after a few months go by.
Substrate: Aquarium Substrate for Marine or Freshwater Aquariums

For LR, I really like the Tonga Nuku Fusion that Dr. Mac sells at Pacific East Aquaculture. They're have a heck of a deal on FiJi Premium right now though.
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/ShowProductCategory.aspx?CategoryId=5

Fish Crazy

beautifull. i had heard you cant mix two types of clowns together. how did you manage that. and can i do it. i have a mated pair or perculas. or are they ocellaris. cant tell. my LFS said they were wild cought so im guessing perculas

I don't have the new tank set up, but we will see what happen with mixing clowns