Fish & Reef Obsession

Fish Crazy

This is the start of the chronicle of my fishy story - It's a tale of trial and error leading up to the setup of a 180 gallon reef tank that is on order.

My fish story starts back many moons ago when I had fresh water fish tanks I would sit for hours watching them. I always wanted saltwater but was afriad to give it a try - it was in the 70's and the book I bought made it seem impossible. I enev purchased a used 100 gallon tank but chickened out and set it up as a freshwater - only to have to sell it later.

So may years have gone by but the idea of saltwater tanks never left me.
I gave up on freshwater fish but still dreamed of a tank. In June of 2006 I received a rebate check for about $500 and headed off to a local fish store and was going to buy a small tank - I walked out of the store with a 58gal Oceanic Reef ready, T5 lights, sump, pumps, sand, and rocks. Believe it or not the next day I purchased fish and they lived :) In August of 2006 I set up a 50 gallon fish only with live rock tank - see why I go by fish crazy - oh by the way I spent a great deal more then the initial $500 - don't we all!

Sometime in the spring of 2007 I walked into a small fish store here in Fresno California and this guy with a long pony tail started chatting and asking about the type tank I had then he asked when I was going to get a big tank - some of you know this guy from reef sancturay Jack owner of Aquatic Agression.

I've been hanging out at Jacks shop buying fish, supplies, food, etc. and coral's from Vicki for the past year talking about tanks and figureing out what I wanted and last week I finally did it and purchased a big tank. 180 gallons, starphire glass on front and 2 sides, overflow in center, with back glass, and a stand. I'm upgrading my 36" Solaris LED to a 72" model and purchased a new skimmer (terminator II).

This thread will trace the set up of the new tank as I merge my 3 small tanks into one. Also I will have the support of Jack in getting it set up, so I hope you like the story and please feel free to share any ideas. Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the current tanks that will go into the new tank (which will be here in 2 - 4 weeks)

Fish Crazy

Here is my first saltwater tank the 58gal Oceanic Reef on day 3 of it being set up in June 2006 - the clowns I still have and they will go into the new tank

Attachments

• P6300028 (Small).JPG
    P6300028 (Small).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 333

CMG

Woooooo! Do you have any close ups of the black an white clown?! I love those. Here is mine.....he only lasted a few days though
IMG_0397.jpg

Fish Crazy

Not sure if sadona red oak - it is a ocenic stand. I like the color but it gets a lot of white from the salt so the new stand is going to be very light pine.

Fish Crazy

I have a delima for the new tank - I have 2 Orange Clowns (flase Perc) 2 Black Clowns (false Perc) and 1 tomato clown. I want to see a clown host my Rose BTA and the black clowns are in the tank with them and do nothing. The orange and black clowns are in seperate tank because they fight so I'm trying to decide which to keep - any thought?

Fish Crazy

:surrender: How do you move a saltwater tank? I have a 50 gallon FOWLR that I need to move because the new tank is going in that spot. I have never moved a saltwater tank so any advice would be greatly apprecaited :)

CMG

Take out all the rock and sand and put it into a empty container of some sort (rubbermaid bin) then start emptying the water into some 5 gallon buckets or whatever containers are laying around. Then move the tank since it is empty and put everything back in.

Stiring up all the rock and sand may cause a spike in certain parameters. So you may want to set up a smaller tank like a 20g to keep your fish in ahead of time with some LR and current tank water.

As far as dealing with the Black and White clowns you can give them to me!! hehe. I live in Northern CA.

Good luck with the move. I moved mine once already and will be moving it again at the end of this month.

CMG

Yeaaaaah Buddy! I love those little black and white guys! So awsome. I cannot wait until my LFS gets some more. I really want to try one again. Although maybe mine died because he was lonely and I should buy two this time....anywyas, nice picture! I love it when they have no orange at all, just like yours.

althea2you

very nice chronicle so far!! that tank you have now is really pretty!!! cant wait to see the 180!!! i have a 90 oceanic, starphire front pane!! it looks amazing!!! you will love it!

Fish Crazy

Thanks Sarah I'm on pins and needles with excitment. AQTCJAK is who I'm getting the new tank from and we decided to go with 3 sides starphire. Reef Magic (Vicki) is where I get corals and she has a new prop tank so I'm already shopping - It's like Christmas in May

Fish Crazy

I was hoping to get the 55 gallon tank moved out of the spot that the new 180 will be in but I have a big presentation for work on Monday so I'm spending the weekend putting together the presentation - I hate it when work )@(#$)(@#&$ up the weekend

Fish Crazy

:clink: Time to get busy I just found out from Jack that the new tank is being picked up this weekend, so tonight we will start clearing the spot - We are taking up the carpet and putting down a new type of flooring that looks like wood but is a PVC product that snaps together and it should fair much better if water spills.