diemakers 650 build

LakeLivin

I've done a lot of experimenting with my 40's and I believe you want them centered as close as possible and positioned exactly opposite from each other. I'm with Mike about not wanting them below the top of your rock formation because the flow would be too much for most corals that you keep high. Consequently, you will probably not be able to run them exactly center but my advice is to get them as close as you can.

For my 500 the 40's are pretty much perfect because I can achieve about as much flow as my sand and corals can stand without having to run them at max power. If I had a 650 I would probably opt for a pair of 60's. The pumps are definitely the loudest thing on my tank and if I had to run them at max power they would be too loud for my taste seeing that my tank is located in my living room where I watch TV. The bottom line is 2 40's should have no problem achieving great flow/currents for a 650 but you will most likely have to run them close to or at max power and deal with the extra noise.

Some of the wave actions are louder than others. For example, I think nutrient mode is the loudest so I use my APEX to schedule that mode late at night after I have gone to bed so the extra noise is not a problem. I crank up the power level for that mode as well because I treat it as essentially my sand/rock cleaning mode and running late at night when most of the corals are closed up and the fish are tucked away in the rocks the extra flow does not seem to bother anything.

The bottom line is you have to do a lot of experimenting and figure out what works best for your tank. If you have a APEX or some other controller it is very easy to experiment with different power settings/modes. Good luck!

Diemaker

I do have an apex and have being messing around with different programs I love the apex best thing I bought form the tank

Sent from my space ship

LakeLivin

I prefer to use the standard dashboard over Fusion when programming. It's probably that I'm just not as familiar with Fusion yet. I did all the work setting everything up with the old dashboard so it's just easier at this point. I will play more with fusion and I'm certain I will get as used to it eventually.

Diemaker

I just got it running last night I like it because I don't need to mess around with all this port forwarding and junk I will still do the programming on the reg dash board just to be safe

Sent from my space ship

Diemaker

Ok thinking of upgrading my skimmer I'm looking at a Super Reef Octopus 3000SSS Internal Protein Skimmer. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are and how well it fits in to the stand

Nob35

You need to check the height with the correct water depth. I did not go with this one because of the operational depth which I believe was between 6" and 7". My depth is 9" in my sump so I would have needed to put it on a shelf and by doing so I would not have been able to use the auto neck cleaner. I do recommend the reef octopus as this is probably one of the best upgrades I made. They are so much easier to get dialed in and the auto neck cleaner lets me go up to a month without having to take it apart to clean it. I have my neck cleaner run for 15 sec every 2 hrs and this keeps the walls clean so there is not much buildup of waste to fall back into the skimmer.
By the way if you did not read my thread I have the reef octopus diablo 225.

Diemaker

I have read your thread a few times just trying to figure out which skimmer to go with I don't have an issue putting in a base to lift it up as long as it all fits in there

Sent from my space ship

Nob35

Only thing I would be worried about is if your putting it in the stock space and you have to raise it is that the chiller and skimmer piping would be in the way. If your placing it somewhere else I say go for it, it was well worth it for me.

yycguy

Now I have the 500 and I just switched from the CSkim to a Vertex Omega 150, in the 500 Stock Sump it fits perfectly, actually I can't believe how much room is now in there. So far love the skimmer, it skims fantastic and it's night and day quieter over the CSkim. Now I ran the CSkim for over a year and man what a PITA, it was to get to skim...... So this mod has been the best money spent ( other than my Apex)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Gotta say I love my vertex too, its such a easy skimmer to dial in, quite and it just sucks the crap out of the water.

Diemaker

I'm not worried about using the stock space I can use that for something else. I'll have a look at the vertex units as well

Hey nob can you send me a few pixs of your skimmer setup

Sent from my space ship

Diemaker

You need to check the height with the correct water depth. I did not go with this one because of the operational depth which I believe was between 6" and 7". My depth is 9" in my sump so I would have needed to put it on a shelf and by doing so I would not have been able to use the auto neck cleaner. I do recommend the reef octopus as this is probably one of the best upgrades I made. They are so much easier to get dialed in and the auto neck cleaner lets me go up to a month without having to take it apart to clean it. I have my neck cleaner run for 15 sec every 2 hrs and this keeps the walls clean so there is not much buildup of waste to fall back into the skimmer.
By the way if you did not read my thread I have the reef octopus diablo 225.

The diablo is discontinued just found out

Sent from my space ship

Diemaker

e60693adf422e9f35ca332d7fca93c54.jpg

Need to figure out how to get the blue out of my iPhone

Sent from my space ship

Joeys Tank

Looking good, Die.

Question for you. Did you turn off the 4 stock circ pumps on the rear wall? Are the two MP40s providing enough flow without the pumps?

I don't like how the stock pumps kick up sand either. Plus, I think a large portion of my heat is coming from them.

Diemaker

I did turn them off but then switched them on one day and the amount of crap that blew out shocked me so I left them on and dialed them down

The only one I don't run is the one beside the return nozzle as I found it splashed out of the tank

Sent from my space ship

Diemaker

I'm still looking at skimmers that will fit somewhere in the sump with a neck cleaner does anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my space ship

Diemaker

Well installed a new reed octopus with neck cleaner and all I can say is wow it fit perfect in the stock sump and started pulling crap out with in 10 min no break in here

Sent from my space ship

Essex

Hi. I have an S500 and swapped out the skimmer for a small (upto 500 litre) Bubble Magus curve skimmer which I could fit in 3 times over! And man, is it quiet!

I haven't got any fish in mine yet, but have enjoyed reading your thread and have learnt about the variable flow rates on the re-circulation pumps.

My sand has created a beach also, but I quite like the look. Keep up the thread!