Your advice on building a dream coral farm

jmatt

I'm contemplating using large plastic or fiberglass troughs or vats for the farm. Does anyone have a link or suggestion for such? I've seen the large round rubbermaid type but I'm thinking perhaps more rectangluar.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an acrylic vendor? I checked Home Depot and they only carry quarter inch, I was thinking of 3/8". Or is that overkill for a shallow (12" probably less) tank?

I'd appreciate any links or examples anyone might have to offer. Thanks.

big t

Ahh the old where do I get plastic question. You need to bust out the yella pages and look under plastic. There should be a supplier of some sort in your area that can order or provide you with cell cast acrylic of some sort. They will also probably sell you some 'rems' for cheap to expirament with. Where do you live?

On my tank it has the 3 holes close together for the 2 drains and the 1 return. TY for the compliments!

mps9506

You can check out your local tractor supply store for rubbermaid troughs or storage containers, it is where we got our 200 gallon RO storage containers.
I think US plastics might sell them also.

jmatt

Ahh the old where do I get plastic question. You need to bust out the yella pages and look under plastic.

I found a few suppliers online, but it probably makes more sense to get it locally.

On my tank it has the 3 holes close together for the 2 drains and the 1 return.

Drains, as in to drain for regular water changes? Or drain to the sump? If it drains to the sump, how do you prevent catastrophe if the pump stops?

Sorry for the newbie question, my only other tank was an undrilled glass job with a hang on siphon to the sump.

jmatt

mps9506 said:
You can check out your local tractor supply store for rubbermaid troughs or storage containers

Thanks for the suggestion. Now that I live in Pennsylvania, I'm sure there are plenty around. But back on Long Island, tractors were few and far between! :laughroll

big t

Well that is the whole point of the overflow. The water overflows thru the teeth. When you turn off the pump it drops down to the bottom of the teeth and stops overflowing. Then the rest of the water just sits in the tank.

jmatt

Gotcha, BigT. The drain holes are sealed off from the general tank space. You could further prevent drainage from the overflow when the pump stops by running a pipe up from the hole such that it sits just below the height of the teeth.

Thanks for the advice on the tubs Craig, I'll be sure to get food grade.