yet another Kalk thread

framerguy

I did an intersting experiment this week with my Kalkwasser. I read reefscapes.net (the article isn't there anymore) that if you drip Kalkwasser too fast and there's not enough Carbon Dioxide in the water that the Bicarbonatae ions will be converted to Carbonate ions and calcium level and alkalinity will actually go down. That's the problem I've been having for a while, my calc has been hard to keep above 380 and my Dkh was staying at 7. I slowed the drip from 1 drip/3/4-1sec to 1 drip/ 1.5 seconds. The calc level on monday was 380 and alk was between 7&8, this morning I checked and the calc level is 425, DKh9. The solution I used was made by dissolving 1 tbs Mrs. Wages Pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) in 24ml vinegar, then mixing that with one gallon RODI water and dripping at the above rate, one gal/day. The author of the article recommended using 15ml vinegar/1/2 tsp calcium hydroxide/quart RODI. I didn't want to go that strong right out of the chute, so I used less vinegar. Has anyone else tried this? I'm so surprised at how effective it was just slowing the drip.

reefman420

use the viniger/r0di,and kalk and i have no problems,i drip 1 gallon into a 75 gallon.1 drip every 2 mississippi,it works great.

BEELZEBOB

oo ooo ooo!!! i have never hard to mix it w/ vinigar?!?!

what does that do?

what type of vinigar are you using?

reefman420

distilled white viniger,it helps use up all the calcium.makeing it a more potent mix,think of it as first its whisky,add vin. and its moonshine lol

framerguy

At the vinegar:calcium ratio I used something like 36% more calcium dissolves and is available to use. I used vinegar before (about 1/2) but I think the slow rate of drip made a lot of difference too.