Yellowhead Jawfish, any conflicts?

corrado007

I ran across a Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons) in an LFS and wanted to check in to see if it would have have conflict with any of the following fish before buying it (hopefully he'll still be there tomorrow morning).

Bar Goby AKA Zebra dart fish

Clark's Clownfish

Yellow Watchman Goby

Yellowtail fang blenny

Yellow Assessor

Some of these fish are current residents of my tank and others will be future additions. Hopefully there won't be any personality conflicts and all I will have to worry about is the fish jumping out! Don't worry, the tank is well covered.
Thanks everyone :)
Justin

vdituri

Alright, squeal. Who has one of those? ( double dog promise not to buy it) :)
I keep my eyes peeled for jawfish here and they are hard to find.
The Reef Store on Madison has a dusky, but it didn't seem very active.

My concern would be the yellow watchman goby as they and the jawfish share the same territory. I have a yellow head sleeper goby and am hesistant to add a jawfish at this time. I only have a 55 so I figure they would compete.

kathywithbirds

I see a yellowheaded jawfish occasionally around here. Those orange spotted jobbies too, not terribly expensive. Can't answer the compatibility Q, sorry.

They do seem like cool fish though!

Cassette87

Cant tell ya from personal experience.. but maybe this chart i found online will help you out?

compatibility_chart.gif

mps9506

Bar Goby AKA Zebra dart fish

Clark's Clownfish

Yellow Watchman Goby

Yellowtail fang blenny

Yellow Assessor

Clark's Clown and Fang blenny should be fine.
The yellow assesor should probably be in first, and should be fine if it isn't very small. A tiny sized assesor would fit just fine in a large Jawfish's mouth. A med sized or larger assesor will be fine.
Bar gobies, I "think" would be ok. They are kind of shy in my experience, I would also add these before a clark's or jawfish if possible.

corrado007

Alright, squeal. Who has one of those? ( double dog promise not to buy it) :)
I keep my eyes peeled for jawfish here and they are hard to find.
The Reef Store on Madison has a dusky, but it didn't seem very active.

My concern would be the yellow watchman goby as they and the jawfish share the same territory. I have a yellow head sleeper goby and am hesistant to add a jawfish at this time. I only have a 55 so I figure they would compete.

LOL, ok ok, I'll talk. Fish Walmart AKA Exotic Aquarium over on Franklin and MLK has one. I couldn't believe it when I found him, really neat looking little guy. I found this thread on a different forum that suggests that shrimp gobies can coexist with jawfish. Actually the jawfish will go in my wife's tank, she only has a Clark's clown and a zebra dartfish in there. I just asked about compatibility with the other fish in case the the jawfish gets picked on by the Clarkii, then I'd put him in my tank with the watchman. By the way, the watchman is only 2", he's small. I just called exotic by the way and they didn't answer so they must be closed, I'll have to be the first one at the door when they open in the morning. Hopefully he's still there (fingers crossed).

Cant tell ya from personal experience.. but maybe this chart i found online will help you out?

Thanks for the chart, I couldn't find shrimp gobies, just gobies and they are compatible but I'm not sure if that counts.

Thanks for your replies everyone, hopefully he'll still be at the LFS in the morning and hopefully he'll do well in my wife's well covered tank. I'll try to remember post some pics if I do get him.

Justin

vdituri

I'll race yah? Just kidding. I don't have a cover on my tank.

I missed them on my last rotation of LFS. They did get some stellar livestock from Hawaii last week. I've never seen so many perfect looking fish ever.
Amazing colors. Don't know if they were happy. Didn't ask the fish. lol

Best of luck! Hope you get him or her?

corrado007

I'll race yah? Just kidding. I don't have a cover on my tank. Best of luck! Hope you get him or her?

That does it! The race is on. I'm on my way over there to camp outside the LFS. It'll be like those people who line up two days early to get a new X Box or Wii from toy stores around Christmas before they sell out. :)

Thanks for the luck, hopefully it'll work out.

Justin