Yellow Tang not eating, color change

Quantrill

So are you guys filtering your own water or hauling it in from the LFS every WC? I guess I'll have to look into getting an RO filter? Might not be a bad idea to have one anyway.

BLAKEJOHN

That's the way it used
That's why, BLAKEJOHN I didn't post any response to Quantrill's post. But I hope BLAKEJOHN you will understand that tap water is way far from good quality water beyond just chlorine content. Also note that many municipalities have changed the form of chlorine they use such that an open container of tap water will no longer loose any appreciable amount of chlorine content. That was a big deal some 20+ years ago when chlorinate compounds replaced chlorine -- aquarium hobbyists protested.

I guess I need to get a better understanding of this before I post. I was unaware that the 24hr method was no longer useful. I use multiple sediment filters and a RO/DI and I am on a well. So fortunatley I dont have to worry about some of those impurities.

BLAKEJOHN

So are you guys filtering your own water or hauling it in from the LFS every WC? I guess I'll have to look into getting an RO filter? Might not be a bad idea to have one anyway.

A little and all of the above. Some get it from the LFS, some buy distilled and some make thier own. I make my own RO/DI and would suggest it to anyone else regardless of how clean they say thier tap water is.

Sorry to hear about the tang.

It sounds like you may have a problem with ammonia (according to previous posts). I would figure out why and get the tank to stabalize before you proceed any further. The tang may have been unhealthy from the start.

leebca

Sorry to hear of the loss.

For a FOWLR system, the minimum water quality would be filtered, carbon treated, DI water. There are dual DI systems to remove positively charge ions and negatively charged ions. The carbon filtration takes up 'neutral' organics.

There is also the RO/DI systems. You can buy them on eBay for a couple hundred dollars. They can produce 1 gallon per hour or more depending upon your needs. They have an in-line filter, DI treatment, followed by a RO unit.

You'll get more information regarding source water from reading more:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/34041-source-water-discussion.html

Well water does add the possibilities of salts. Phosphates, nitrates, etc. that are okay for human consumption, but still are things you don't want to add to your aquarium. But, it is good you're (BLAKEJOHN) are not totally using it to the exclusion of other water. :thumbup:

Quantrill

Thanks guys. I think the ammonia problem may have been a false alarm. I tested some just plain old tap water with the same kit and it tested positive. I picked up a new test kit today and it showed 0 ammonia. I'm guessing the other kit went bad. I went ahead and sprung for the API "Master Test Kit" and replaced all of the other individual kits I have. New Results

Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.4
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20ppm (according to the instructions in the kit < 30ppm is ok for FOWLR)

The guy at petsmart (I only go there for test kits, salt etc) told me that the API liquid test kits aren't as accurate and tend to go bad whereas the test strips are more accurate and last longer. I've always heard strips were less accurate?

Anyway. I guess I'll start looking into some filters RO/DI filtration next. No way I'm gonna haul enough water from the LFS to do a WC! LOL

leebca

What you heard about test strips is true. What you know about the quality of livestock (and probably advice) from the pet chains is also true -- not reliable at best.

Test strips are a bane to this hobby. They are not accurate. They are not reliable. Hobbyists do intensely want short cuts, though. This is not the hobby to accommodate short cuts, though. It's a hard hobby. :)

After the financial, time, and emotional investment made into the hobby, it is best to know for certain what the water quality is, without doubt. I would get online and get coming to you a supply of Salifert test kits.

;)

Quantrill

Thanks Lee! I'll check into those. I had pretty much resigned myself to buying new API liquid test kits every year just to make sure they're "fresh". Sounds like the Salifert stuff is higher quality?

Thanks
David