Worm-looking things - HELP ME!!!

jmixon12

I was just looking at my tank and there were these small worm-looking things coming out of the live rock. The lights had been off for about an hour at the point I saw them. I have not added any new rock to the tank any time recently, but I did add two small damsels a couple days ago. Some of these "worms" were in excess of an inch long so I think there were there already. Also, I used my tweezers and touched them and they darted back VERY QUICKLY. Does anybody know what these are and what should I do, if anything? Thanks for the help.

vdituri

Check out the hitchhiker id thread already posted.

Could be bristle worms. Pinkish with hairs.
Could be 1 arm of a miniature brittlestar. white or white with dark grey stripes.

Most worms are not a problem.

A picture would definitely help. Hope this helps

jmixon12

Can you describe the worm better? Color? Does it have bristles (bristle worm)?

I don't see any bristles. They are basically clear or white in color. They have the ability to stretch to what seems more than 3 or 4 times there actual length.

jmixon12

Well my lights went out about an hour ago so they should be coming out soon. I will do my best to get a picture and then get it posted. I appreciate the help.

jmixon12

Well I just checked the tank and there were about 20 coming out of holes in one of my live rocks. Only one rock though. I didn't see a single worm on any of the other rocks. Anyway, I tried to get a photo and I couldn't get one to come out. I did take the laptop over and checked out that worm hitch hikers guide while looking at the tank. They appear to be peanut worms. It says that not much is known about these worms, but it looked like they were eating stuff off the live rock. Hopefully it was waste they were eating and not good algae. Any ideas if I should do anything if they were peanut worms? Thanks again.