Woooooo Hoooooo Caviar anyone??

woolfe

:whstlr: Help!!!

I'm happy and nervous all at the same time. My cardinal has a mouth full of eggs. I want to try raising them but am a total greenhorn about it. I do know that I'm going to have to hatch brine for them but that's about it so far. I'm off to the store to buy a 5 gal tank, shrimp eggs and a hatchery kit. If anyone knows what to do or knows of a good site/artical I could get some info from I would really appriciate any help. Thanks in advance everyone...

woolfe

Great info boozeman thanks...

Here's the best pic I can get right now. He's scared of the camera and moves. You can just make out the pink eggs. That and his jaw is huge!

Attachments

• cardinal 005.jpg
    cardinal 005.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 90

BigReepher

Gratz! Making an artificial longspine urchin will give the newly hatched eggs a place to hide and keep them from the mouths of other fish. Using a ball of two part epoxy, often used when fragging corals, place skewers or broom clippings into the epoxy to simulate the longspines of the urchin. This will also provide you with a feeding site. Good luck HTH.

woolfe

Thanks again Dave. You've been more helpful then I could have hoped for. I am going to give raising them a shot.

Update - As of last night I can make out tiny dots on the eggs. The little guys have eyes now. :)

woolfe

:tears: He either spit them out or swallowed them. When I got home from work they were gone. I'm all set up for babies now though. He either spit or swallowed them after holding them for around 11 days. I'll keep this thread updated if/when they spawn again.

Last edited:

woolfe

Ok, here we go again. She laid eggs again last night. I've been overfeeding him since the last clutch disappeared. I hope he can hold on this time. Last time he only held them for 11 days that I know of. He might have had the eggs before I saw them. He's not one of the fish I looked at a lot. He is now! :snshne: