Witch Hydromiter should i use?????

newinotisville

I i am new and my tank is still cycling but i am not sure weather i should use the glass one or the plastic one i have been told that one is better then someone else tells me the opposite lol thanks for your help

nos2074

I don't want to confuse you but you probably want to use a refractometer. Hydrometer's really arent that accurate.

reefboy84

I agree with Dion, If your looking for an exact measurment the refractometer is the way to go.. Get yours on ebay for less, they are ridiculously priced in the stores..although I did use a hydrometer for they first 10 years and they work just fine,, really depends on how acurate you want to be..

seafansar

If you get a hydrometer, check it with a refractometer. Ask to borrow one from a fellow hobbyist or see if a LFS uses one and will check yours for you. Some hydrometers read too high and others too low, but if you know the difference then you can judge the salinity better.

newinotisville

thank you i have the plastic one and it seems to get bubbles under the meter that goes up and down seems to get bubbles under it and they say that is doesnt read acuratly

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Hydrometers with the swing arm really are not very accurate. The glass ones that float can be, but a refractometer will last years and is a good investment.

Forney54

Hydrometers are inaccurate do to the fact the float could be effected by other things then salt, ie, bubbles or anything else that changes the density of water. If running a FOWLR tank, it is not horrible to use a hydrometer, and there really isn't much of a difference between brands, the biggest difference is some come with thermometers which could be useful. But if running a tank with more delicate inverts or extremely delicate fish, using a hydrometer is extremely risky and a refractometer would be a better option, you can get one on sale for around $30 if you're lucky.

Schwa

I am with everyone else -Refractometer. You can find one that works perfect for under 40 dollars. Do you really want to risk your tank on a nickels worth of plastic if you do get a hydrometer use the glass floating kind the swing arms are junk.:bouncer:

Uslanja

Agree with everyone above about refractometers. Junk the hydrometer and get yourself a refractometer. We've all gone the hydrometer route and then switched.