Winning the War on Red Algea

Snelly40

So, the concensus on the red algea was a red hair algea, red hair algea typically does not have the long strands of regular hair algea and it was more mat like. Nevertheless i added a phosphate reactor and some rowa=phos and purigen in it. after a few days of this and shortening the photo period i added some Mexican Turbos. Well since then the algea is over 50% gone already!!!!

I had always tested for phosphates but they were always undetectable, i guess this was a good reality check.

All levels still great and corals look healthier than ever and i am happy to see all rock and no algea. :yup:

naperenterprise

Awsome! I bet your happier now, I have a little that started on the tip of my star polips, so I've been at battle this morning as well ;)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Water changes using ro/di water and add some phosphate removing media (phosban or rowaphos). Using a small reactor (twolittlefishes) for the media works wonderfully :)

Also incorporating a refugium filled with macro alage (cheatomorpha) and using a good skimmer help to remove po4 & disolved orgaincs.

Snelly40

Creepin, i would add a phosphate reactor. What are your nitrates?
if they are high add some cheato, but either way i would use a phosphate reactor.