Why use overflow box?

CMG

Why can't I just put a peice of tube (bent into a U at the top) all the way from the tank to the sump? Or even just have the U shaped tube in the tank and then transition into PVC the rest of the way down into the sump? Whats the point of paying $60 for an overflow box that does the same thing?

I dont know if I am totaly missing something or just having a brain fart or what it is.

Also, the drain is typically 1" and the return pipe is typically 3/4" correct? So if I have a 40g tank then what is my drain draining in gph? This way I can figure out what pump I need. Thanks!!!

tbittner

Because the overflow box is built to maintain the siphon in the event of an electric outage. If you don't have a bin of water on both sides of the siphon tube, such as you're asking about, then it would suck water down to the bottom of the tube inside the tank and suck air, breaking the siphon. When the electric comes back on, the pump starts pumping water but your siphon doesn't work anymore.... WALA! Overflow of the tank!

CMG

I knew it!! I knew there was a simple answer! Like a majoic trick. hahaha. Its friday thats why, my brain is shot from class and work all week. hehe. Thanks a lot! Jeez that was really bothering me!!

tbittner

The drain from the overflow box, with a 1" bulkhead, will drain about 600 gph per 1" bulkhead. With a 40g tank, I'd look for a pump that can pump between 300 - 400 gph at 4 feet? (you'd have to measure this) The overflow box would handle this easily.

Did you see these? I have two of these EShopps and they work fine.
Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

CMG

Duuude! Those were the exact overflows I was looking at since the CPRS are crazy overpriced! I found them here:
Eshopps Overflow Boxes

but the pic is different on that site??? I like to shop in CA since the shipping is way faster because Drs. Foster Smith takes forever and is expensive (shipping). But Marinedepot.com didnt have them

CMG

4 feet of total pipe work (horizontal + vertical) or just vertical distance from bottom of sump to top of tank?

tbittner

Man, the shipping from DFS is just messed up!!! I know, BigAl, you told me that already. :lol:

Dude! I ordered SIX HUNDRED POUNDS of sand from DFS and the shipping cost me $17.99. For the 800 gph OF Box, it's $9.99. :smck:

CMG

600lbs!!!! daaaammmn, hahaha. Thats a lot. I like my little 40 gallon tank though, its just the right size for my intro to this hobby and it fits the wall perfectly...so cant go wrong there.

tbittner

Those dimensions (I used 20" high) would give you a tank that is 46 g.

(36 x 15 x 20 x .00433 = 46.764)

That is a nice size for a reef. I like that length.

CMG

Thanks, I also like the size especially since I am in an apartment. Its small enough to mess with things in a timely manner, it doesnt take me all day to aqua scape and things like that, I can reach around in there easy too to fight my green alage problem. I figure I will have algae until I get a sump and run a macro algae to compete for nutrients.