Why Are My Zoanthid Dying

8892mustang

MY FIRST QUESTION AS MY FIRST TIME HERE; CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY MY ZOAS WERE DOING WELL , MY TANK TEMP WAS AT A CONSTANT 80 degree, have a chiller and controler broke . now my temp spikes up 84 degree, next day i realized my rock which had the zoas were missing quite an amount of them. was this due to the temp spike? please help!

mps9506

Well, it could be from the temp spike stressing them out and they released from the rock. Another thing to keep an eye for would be zooanthid eating nudibranchs. I would concentrate on getting the controller replaced fist.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi Mustang, Welcome to RS! Like Mike said, if they are missing they could be just swept under a rock, you can salvage them. Steve

blue_eyes53813

Hello welcome to RS... Watch for a hitchhiker in the zoanthids.. I once had little snails that have a black and white shell.. They blend in very good with the zoanthids so you have to look real close. Is there any livestock that you know might be picking at them?

flricordia

Wouldn't think that one day or even a couple days of temp. increase would cause this in itself. I have accidently run an heavily stocked stystem at near 90F when a temp probe came out of the water with no ill effects. But I had a fuge with a heavy chaeto load operating at the same time. What could be going on though is that organic load vs bacteria load were on a fine line and once the temp increased the organics began to increase with the bacteria not able to keep up thereby stressing the corals and causing them to release. This would cause high ammonia to nitrates which many corals can not tolerate. With the increase in temp many of the microbs in the system could have died causing an imbalance in the organics overwhelming the bactera. That's why refugiums with an algae that won't go asexual are a positive for any reef system. Do water changes and set-up a fuge.

8892mustang

right now im experiencing some cyno bacteria right after i did a large water change. we did a water test with all positive results. mabe i should text water again.

thank you

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Zoanthids IME are very hardy and usually can deal with fluctuations better than most other corals. Since you say you don't have nudi's it could be another predator such as the sundial snail or even a larger a Polychaete Worm. Have you examined the zoa's carefully a few hours after the lights go out ?

mrcoral.com

RS Sponsor
Please check for Zoa Spiders these things can sneak up on you!! Very hard to see!! Take the coral out of the tank and take a close look at them they will hide sometimes in the polyp itself. Very important to get these guys right away or it could spread fast.

Check out my Website and give me a email if you every need any help.

mrcoral.com

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Humm.... as mentioned above, zoanthids are normally VERY hardy. The only exception are some red, blue, or newly wild caught colonies that may be a bit more sensitive. The problem is most likely some type of predator and least likely, bacteria or water quality issue.

If it were mine, I would perform a fresh water dip then keep a very close eye on it.