Who has urchins?

Anselth

We have a blue tuxedo urchin. Really good at scouring back some of the corraline algae. Doesn't bother the corals except when it decides to carry around a frag as campflage.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have a black spiny urchin that came as a HH. It hasn't caused any problems, yet. It trucks around eating the coraline algae and helps to spread the spores, I say.:D

DSC_0038.jpg

wonderloss

I also have a blue tuxedo urchin. He will knock things over on occasion, but I do not have any real problems with him.

hma

I have 3 Salmacis sphaeroides and 2 black long spine.

that is the Salmacis sphaeroides :snshne:

Salmacis%20sphaeroides%20-%20Sea-Urchin.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I had a Black Longspine Urchin {Diadema setosum} excellent herbivore but it just grew too large and I removed it. Now I have a Blue Tuxedo Urchin {Mespilia globulus} and will probably add another one soon.

framerguy

I want one but I just have an aquapod. Are there any that would work in my tank?
most urchins are labeled "Reef safe; with caution". They are algae eaters but may occasionally stray for a sessile invert. Rock boring urchins will bore a hole in the LR to live in and come out at night, actually most are nocturnal. Long spine black urchins should be kept with extreme caution due to their venemous spines and their habit of eating sessile inverts such as sponges and corals. The Tuxedo and Pencil urchins are excellent candidates, just pay attention to it's eating habits. The word "Urchin" comes from an Old English word which means "Hedgehog" which urchins resemble! HTH.