Who has the best Nano Setup?

Who has the Best "OUT OF BOX" Nano Ste-up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wanted to know which company offers The best Nano Set up?
Include your vote and why? Price, Flex Platform, Lighting, filtration,ect.,ect
Also include any dislikes-Or "what would make the out of box set up better".

Thanks

mps9506

To tell the truth it depend on what you are looking for. I find all of them lacking in some category or the other, and being the kind of person that likes things setup MY way, I have never been really attracted to any of them because of the built in filtration, the built in lighting etc.
Unfortunately with the items listed I think you are comparing apples to oranges since you have the Eclipse which isn't even marketed as a nano reef system and the only thing it includes is a single CF light and basic cartridge style filter. The Aquapod and Biocube are pretty close in terms of what they offer and is actually a pretty good question if you are comparing those two. The Red Sea Max is two to three times as much as the other setups in the poll. Then you forgot to put the Nano Cube on the poll. :)
If you are looking only at price, then the elcipse would win, but you'd have to add lighting and water flow. I'm not a big fan on the filtration on any of them, even the Max because my experience with that particular built in filter is that they are next to useless. The lighting really depends on what you want to keep.
Basically what I'm saying is that choosing a best is impossible, because everyone has different needs.

goldenmean

I have a 12g nano but it is a custom built acrylic tank built by my LFS.
Behind the false wall there is but 2 compartments with a bubble trap between. The first compartment came with a built in venturi protein skimmer while the 2nd compartment contains the heater and return pump.
It came with a hood mounted 32w PC by current and I have added moon lights. It is a great little tank and with the built in skimmer far better than the aquapod and the nanocube IMHO.

The Red Sea Max appears to be a great set up but heat seems to be a major issue. It seems like a chiller is necessary with the RSM but I have not really done much research on them. Just my observations. I have also noticed some RSM for sale on another nano-tank oriented web site which seems questionable since the tank has not been out that long.

Snelly40

when i started i bought a nanocube, the bio cube was nice too, and the red sea was not out yet. I think for overall package the new redsea is sweet.
But when i was ready to upgrade i was only using the shell of the nanocube and had replaced absolutely everything else!!!
you will find as you learn and grow with the hobby there is always sometthing that you want or need to change, part of the fun :)

kathywithbirds

I voted for the aquapod, as Mike has the 12g and it's really cool. He has the 70w MH that came with it, he switched out the stock pump for a maxijet 900, took out the media in the back adn put in a thingy of chaeto. He's got carbon running it and and got a Fission nano skimmer.

I like the look of them compared to the others, it's a little different.

Thanks guys.
I was just reading alot on the Nano considering a friend just went and got one and I was so suprised at the price( I thought it was High for it being so small) and as many have mentioned he is already upgrading and putting more money into it.

Now dont get me wronge I think they are pretty cool and I wouldnt mind oneday trying one-I personaly think i would just get a small cube and set everything up my self-so i agree with the need to tweek and the fact that "The out of Box" effect isnt true because it all depends on what coral ,fish you want, so on and so on.

But I wanted to see what people would vote for being the best set up(generaly/starter) out of the above. I picked the options because they are all different/set up and price, and i wanted to compair with out the nano cube.

If you had the option to mod, why would the eclipse be different? many swap out the CF in the stock Nano's( Ap, BC or even NC) or double up on the lighting-But the eclipse is way cheaper then the others...
And I didnt inclue Aquamedic's 9g nano which I have seen to be dirt cheap compaired to others at the same or about same size-I didnt cause thats all they offer right now.

So if you didnt mod the set up, who would have the best?

AquaPod:ppl love them who has them, but why?
Bio Cube: pple love them who have them, but why?
RedSea: Looks cool but is 2X the price(AP-BC) due to all the accessories.
Eclipse: would be a price saver and DIY project.

Dose everyone agree with the RedSea/Eclipse

mps9506

One thing with the eclipse, when you get it you will notice a huge difference in the thin easy to scratch acrylic used in the eclipse systems versus the curved glass used in other systems. Big difference in quality and visual appeal.

Again I'm personally not a big fan of the Red Sea unit simply because I don't think the skimmer/filtration is adequate for what you are paying for.

I am more in the mindset of purchasing a smaller custom cube or tank and adding my own skimmer, pump and lighting. The only reason I would purchase any of the above systems is because I like them aesthetically, but I would go in knowing I'm upgrading the filtration and lighting on the units anyhow.

kathywithbirds

I really went into this not knowing enough at all, but now I'm glad I got my plan 37g cube and added stuff I wanted. The Oceanic seems to have the most accolades for best out of the box, but I liked the aquapod originally because I liked the setup of their sunpods on top.

I got a sunpod on my 37g, bec. I know I want some stuff that needs that light, like a nem and a couple LPS I like, but it'll have to wait until the tank matures enough and I grow some easier specimens first.

I really really liked the red sea max for all it's accessories but the lighting is not enough and now Mike says the skimmer sucks too? Glad I didn't shell out for it (sorry for the pun).

wow, I have been asking some other friends today about this topic and they all said except the one who did buy a Nano-that getting a small cube and designing your set up your self is more price saving and more effective...

So i wonder why they sell so well?

goldenmean

wow, I have been asking some other friends today about this topic and they all said except the one who did buy a Nano-that getting a small cube and designing your set up your self is more price saving and more effective...

Some people like to go to the grocery store, buy fresh food, and fix a wonderful meal.
Other like to have their dinner delivered - already prepared. quick and easy even if it is more costly.
Some dont know how to cook and have no choice but to get take out.

goldenmean...

You couldnt of put it any clearer...i guess the poll isnt going to help, I did it wrong...but your right, so right...Its Hot pockets, Micky Dee's and BBQ's...which one you choose....Ummm yeah BBQ- Do it your self..

lol

mps9506

I dunno about it being more cost effective. I guess it depends on what you decide to upgrade. The custom nano I planned out cost way more than just purchasing a nano cube or aquapod or whatever.

addicted

Ours was built by us. I never really looked around at prices at the already made ones though. I wouldn't get one though because I like picking everything out by myself I don't want it all to come together. Where's the fun in that? I love shopping for the stuff so I wouldn't cut myself out of fun by buying everything in one set!

mps9506

bump to an 11 month old thread :)

fwiw, I'm thinking the elos setup is about as good as it gets now :) Not counting the cost :D

Witfull

ME~ the non commercial researched anything under the oceans volume is a nano reefer. at 210g tank, 50g sump, and other dodads,,,,im at the tiny side of "real" nano~

NanoNewbie

I gave my dog some of the dinner i cooked and he started licking his butt to get the taste out of his mouth LMAO :bouncer: