Which Fish for a FOWLR

CMG

Can I have a picasso trigger and a yellow stripped maroon clown in a 50g tank together since they are both aggresive? I would buy them both as babys so that it isnt crowded and then when/if they get too big for my tank I can always trade for their benefit.

Also, if you cant put a clean up crew in a tank with a trigger or puffer (since they will eat them) what do you guys/gals use to stop algae grown and whatever else clean up crews prevent?

Thanks.

Last edited:

lcstorc

I had a niger trigger with my maroon clown without a problem. I got rid of the trigger pretty quickly because I went reef. No agression in the time I had both anyway. Wish I had a more concrete answer but perhaps someone will come along who does.

prow

most i know with triggers just get the normal cleaning crew and replace whatever gets eaten. if you feed them enough and keep them full they will not eat to many snails, form what they say.

I have a canthigaster puffer in a 55gal, and he doesn't bother my hermits, but any turbo snails he kills pretty quickly. I've had some Cerith snails in there for about two weeks now, and he completely ignores them, so yeah, lol.

Mcvivor

The 2 will be fine, just make sure the trigger is on the small side and the maroon is on the larger side so he does not become lunch. I would agree with the above posts, triggers will arange the tank how they want moving stuff around (kind of neat to watch) but irritating if you want your tank to stay the same.

Try maybe a LARGE long spine urchin for the cuc. They have venom spines, and if you get a LAARGE one, and a smaller trigger, he may have a hard time attacking it.

DaveK

... what do you guys/gals use to stop algae grown and whatever else clean up crews prevent?...

Since you have a FOWLR system, you can use greatly reduced lighting as a way to control algae. Of course, all the other usual methods apply also.

Forney54

For a trigger you need at least a 70 gal if its a long term stay. Other than that, i wouldnt see a problem with it