What's Going On With This Clam?

reefshadow

Hi, All!-

I've had this squamosa for about a 1 1/2 years. A couple of months ago I noticed some a lightened area on the mantle, but wrote it off as some kind of minor surface injury. However, it's still there, 2 months later! What is it? I have 4 clams total, the squamosa, a juvenile derasa and two croceas. All the clams look great and are growing like gangbusters. This one has gone from 3 inches to almost 7. I inspect periodically for pyramid snails, but have never seen even one on any clam. (looked at night, too)

The clam actually looks great. I can see that it is still rapidly growing, and is not gaping or showing any other signs of stress. It is on the sandbed under dual 250 ushio 10k's, and 3x 110 vho's. I keep calcium @ about 400, alk @ 10 dkh, temp @ 80 degrees.

This appeared after a long session of aquascaping, but I can't definately say I damaged it. I can't think of any other changes that would explain it.

If you look very closely at the area you can see what looks kind of like scratches? what does damage due to snails look like?

Thanks! -Becca :)

Brucey

RS .... Hi mate. Don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say what a gorgeous clam. I'm no expert but I'm guessing it is absolutley nothing to worry about. We'll wait for the experts to chime in
brucey

EdgeKrusher

The only problem I see with that clam is that it should be in my tank. LOL J/k that's a beautiful Clam, good work Becca!

Peace

EK

ReefLady

Staff member
That clam is gorgeous - fantastic coloring. As far as the 'discoloration', I'm really not sure. Are your bulbs getting on the older side?

I wonder if clams might exhibit some sort of coloration change as they grow? I hope Barry jumps in here - I'm curious myself. Sorry I couldn't help!

Witfull

it looks like tissue damage. it may have been bumped or had a rock sit on it briefly. as i looked close i could see styations in the tissue membrane and that the Zoox is reduced, or clouded over in the area. sounds as if it has healed due to it not expanding. and the clam is stil alive after a few months as you stated. it may regain its pattern or it may not.

Maxx

It looks like a bit of bleaching in the mantle where some of the Zooxanthellae have been expelled. When you did your aquascaping, was the clam subjected to a change in lighting?
I don't believe its serious, (especially since its still growing) because the spots arent much lighter than the rest of the clam.
Nick

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Could be getting a bit too much light or some UV burning. Squamosas need less light than croceas, maximas and derasas. If it is in the hot spot of your MH, you might move it out a bit to the fringe area of the bulb.

reefshadow

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I really haven't changed the clams position in relation to the light, but my halides are going on 14 months. I should have new lamps in any day now.

I really do suspect somekind of injury because of the striations that Witt pointed out, but I just don't know. Zoox is obviously expelled some from that area.

I guess i'll just hope that it goes away, but really the clam doesn't look that bad, as many of you so kindly pointed out :)

This is actually my fave clam, I like it even better than the blue croceas. I think it's the pattern.

Thanks! -Becca:)

Marco

Just out of curiousty do you have any Centropyge angels in your tank? The reason I ask is I had a problem with a Potters Angel nipping on a Derasa Clam and the injury looked exactly like what you have.

reefshadow

Hmmmmm-

Marco, welcome to the board!

That is an interesting question. I do have a flame angel in this reef, but I have never seen it harass any corals.

That fish might deserve a little more scrutiny from me.

When I do the upgrade to the 240 tank I was going to move this fish out of the system anyway.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Becca :)