what to use to frag coral

fishguy4

Hey everyone im trying to frag 2 of my chalices but ive never done it before. What kind of tools should i use to do it, and how should i do it? Thanks!

SaltyChick

well i dont know how safe it is for a coral. but my blenny is extremely clumsy and knocks things over all the time and he broke a monti once. we sold the piece and as far as we know its doing fine. so maybe if its big enough you could just break it with your hands? not sure though. im gonna let someone else chime in here...

SaltyChick

also...not sure where you live, but i just checked craigslist real quick. they have a few dremels on there for anywhere from $10-$60. used ones arent hard to find. if your willing to wait just go to yard sales and such. ebay maybe.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dremmels work but the metal blades build up heat and damage the tissue. I use a coral saw with a diamond tipped blade. Chalices r sensitive coral. Make sure u iodine dip after cutting to help heal the frag.

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought

dmatt88

can u explain how to do an iodine dip? Sry im new to fragging lol

Buy Lugols solution. Mix according to directions about the color of tea. Set the frag in the dip for a few minutes. Wha la. Keeps the tissue from receding.

dmatt88

ok so after i frag it i will dip it in that solution for awhile. but is the method above ok do you thing?

Works like a champ. Just use stainless equipment. Salts hard on tools. No grease/oil on the tool. He did great with the Lugols. Just cigarettes optional.