What Is this round ball on my Live Rock

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yep...It's GBA (green bubble algae). You need to carefully remove it & try to get all the green "skin" out of your tank ASAP. :chainsaw:
Staying on top of manual removal will work. It won't go away on it own. :mad:

Jetmart

I was able to remove it in one piece without bursting it. It was pretty firm. I just twisted and rolled it a bit off the rock. Thanks guys. I had never heard of it and I don't a lot of reading.

cracker

Is it just me or does it seem that this GBA is a recent thing? 10 years ago I didn't see this stuff anywhere.
Jet , Good job on the quick removal. Keep an eye out for this stuff !

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I was able to remove it in one piece without bursting it. It was pretty firm. I just twisted and rolled it a bit off the rock. Thanks guys. I had never heard of it and I don't a lot of reading.
Yay :yeehoo: I hope you got it all! :fingerscrossed:
It did look like the single spore kind, unlike this:
image.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You all are gonna hate me, but I haven't had the stuff... :yup:
Now that I said it, I will probably get it now...:p
I had my own issue with algae, maiden hair...:eek:
That's amazing Sue :yeehoo:...I certainly hope you never have to deal with it.
I started with what I thought was ONE bubble on the tube of a feather duster.
Removed it, it came back and started popping up here & there on my LR.
Now, I remove little bits of it weekly. I spend as much time searching for it as I do looking at my fish & corals.
I'm not going to let it win! :trike:

Pat24601

Now that I said it, I will probably get it now...:p
I had my own issue with algae, maiden hair...:eek:

I am definitely not saying I haven't seen any in my tank in weeks because the last time I said that I found a ton of it on my wavemaker. The aquarium ghods can be fickle and cruel and I don't want to test them. :)

That said, I've had a pretty bad month or two on some other issues that I think are directly related to things I've done to fight the GBA, but keeping the fingers crossed on GBA itself.

newo11

eek:

We don't hate you, but are maybe a bit jealous!

I have a couple now and then - they grow huge so it's pretty easy to remove them once they get to a certain size. I've seen other tanks with really small bubbles in it - hundreds of them, so I can't complain too badly!

Oxylebius

Yeah, like I said I had issues with a different type of algae. I also had a dreaded Oenone fulgida which took time to exterminate. And yes, I still have aiptasia - a never ending battle. All critters and corals live along with the aiptasia....life is what it is.....how you cope with it is what makes the difference...having nuisance critters hasn't held me or my thriving sps tank back.