what do in need for PC retro?

strat

so im planning out my reef setup, and im trying to price out the lighting. im going to go with PC lights and the tank will probably be 20-30 gallons. so what do i need? and can i get it all at HD?? thanks for all your patience with the newbie :D

kris

mps9506

I would recomend that you go to one of the online vendors and purchase a retrofit kit or full hood system. you will not be able to get everything you need at Home Depot.
Retrofit kits will indlue the PC Sockets, Ballast, and usually a reflector and bulbs.
A few places to check out would be
inreef.com
championlighting.com
hellolights.com
premiumaquatics.com

Most of them will have what you need.
mike

strat

thanks mike. i appreciate it. i might try a lighting place in town here, see if i can get the stuff.

thanks for the list

strat

strat

thanks mike, good site. i have an uncle who works for a big electrical wholesaler, i might see if he can get a hold of some of those supplies. probably wont be able to get the bulbs tho. thanks again

strat

mps9506

He can probably get a workhorse 5 or workhorse 7 ballast for you them. I believe it is made by fulham, it is the ballast most of the kits use.
Mike

strat

sweet, thanks alot. that will probably be very helpful. im getting excited :D

hey any idea on the bulbs? his company works with the osram sylvania brand and iwasaki i believe....

thanks

strat

mps9506

The only reef tank suitable PC lighting I know of is avaible either online of at your LFS. Either Corallife, Panasonic, Current(formerly custom sealife), hellolights. there are quite a few off brands also.
I don't think osram or eye makes pc bulbs, could be wrong though.
Mike

strat

one more question, thanks for your patience. are power compact bulbs different (more intense) than compact flourescents or are they the same thing? just to clarify, is it the same difference as NO bulbs vs VHO bulbs? and when you say reef tank suitable, are you refering the kelvin rating of the bulb? thanks again

newbie kris :D

mps9506

compact flo=power compacts. Same thing.
Yeah, I was just refering to the kelvin rating. Now that I think of it, osram does make power compact bulbs, but I only ever see the small wattage ones, I'm not sure what sizes they make, but I'm sure if you scan their website you might be able to find a listing of them.
Mike

strat

thank you both, i will scan osrams page when i get a chance. ive been there before and its not the easiest to navigate around. but what im looking for is 10,000 K and actinic bulbs right? thanks for all the help

kris

ps thanks for the link jeeps, looks like a good site too

mps9506

My guess is that it would be easier to go through your LFS or an online place to get the bulbs, as I've never really seen the osram bulbs advertised any place.
Mike

strat

yeah, im thinking that. if i can get all the hardware elswhere and then just get the bulbs at a specialty place (LFS) i should be good.

thnaks again