Wavecontroller....somewhat...

Squatch XXL

I picked something up on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262699686853?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

MVT-WAVE

There is next to nothing on the net about this that I could find. It is a basic on/off switch. It has wording on it noting that certain types of powerheads will break if used. What is a type of pump that would work with this and why lol.

I know it has something to do with sudden starts on the pump, but what specifically should I be looking for?

DaveK

I have seen items like this before. This is the sort of thing that you only spent $12 on, so try it with the least expensive, most expendable powerhead you can find. If it works, fine. If not, toss it and get a something better.

I use the smaller JBL powerheads on my 90 gal FW planted tank on their controller. You may want the larger powerheads on a reef. FW planted tanks don't normally use too much circulation.

Here is the powerhead (offsite) -
http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Ocea...ntent=JB6311&gclid=COzQjInFm9ECFdNXDQodzr4PKg

Here is the complete kit I bought (offsite) -
http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Ocea...Powerheads-JBJ_Lighting-JB6331-FIPHFF-vi.html

I think the JBL's would work ok, but I can't be 100% sure. The JBL controller I'm using may have additional electronic features so the pumps are not damages by the starts and stops.

Of course if money is no object, EcoTech and Tunze are fantastic, but very expensive.

Squatch XXL

I have seen items like this before. This is the sort of thing that you only spent $12 on, so try it with the least expensive, most expendable powerhead you can find. If it works, fine. If not, toss it and get a something better.
Many thanks for the info. The Jbl's seem pretty good, and that they can handle the starts and stops makes them very enticing. I think I need to find a unit that automatically slowly spools up in rpms. I think the on/off hard start is what kills these units.

There is not enough specific info on a pump working with a wave controller or not, but from what I read it has something to do with a harsh automatic start and some effect where basic pumps can occasionally start backward.

This is for a 3" 85g tank that already has about 1,200 gph between 2 powerheads and the return, and I don't like the linear flow at all. I picked up a generic as it gets test dummy "1200 gph wavemaker" from the online flea market. Ill see if I can't destroy it. I am going to run it on/off at the highest frequency for a few days.

The "wavemaker" unit itself is old school looking. I can't find any online tech or spec on it. Id imagine it simple enough to reverse engineer which was part of it also. Finding a pump that works with it will be the trick.

Squatch XXL

Got it in the mail today. Happy holidays.

Budget wave controller and a "1300" gph generic wavemaker.

I enjoy the brutal simplicity of it. How long on, how long off. I will be looking for another.

The wavemaker is maby 800gph in comparison to a real brand, and even then it would lose. Either way it is creating some random water flow.

I would love to have some way to make something turn off or on opposite of this.

Squatch XXL

Testing the "wave maker" on a power head on another tank
So since my post late last night I have had this device plugged into a pair of 250gph powerheads without issue or crunch sound. They move about as much water as the "wavemaker". If I want a wavemaker, I need to make sure I get something that has some motion (gpm). 1,000-1,400 would not be that absurd to me. Ill be shopping for a set of quality ones for sure. Power heads just don't do the same thing.