Water Movement

ctiq21

How much watermovement is necessary for a reef system. Currently I just have my return, a mag 7, doing the work.

I was going to put one of my powerheads in for additional movement.

Do I need to add the powerhead and should the movement of the water be from the return side of the aquarium to the overflow or should I create some kind of circular movement? any help would be great.

Please check tank specs below:

EdgeKrusher

The Minimum recomended flow for any tank is 10X volume. So in your case you want to be turning over 550+ gallons an hour.

HTH

Peace

EK

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I have 1100gph my 50 gallon, same thing as your 55, but an inch shorter, and it is just fine for the stuff I have now. See my signature for what I use for flow. Here is a pic of my setup, you can see the powersweep and fluval in one corner, the skimmer in the middle, and the 2 aquaclears on the other corner. I don't have much of a problem with detrius settling either.

16tankstand.JPG

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I have been looking at those powersweeps for quite some time. How are they working out for you? I heard that they can gum up and stop working. I want to replace my Rio's and was thinking powersweeps would be cool due to the rotating movement.

I agreed with EDGEKRUSHER it should be ten times more than your tank volume.I will recomend that the pumps you are going to add never points direct into any corals.The best way to do it's to let the flow current hit the tank glass,this way the glass will serve as a deflector.VINA

Gina

RS STAFF
Our power sweep has been stuck for about 3 days now. I kinda wish now we hadn't gotten it. Getting tired of fixing it.