Water filters

Do I need to use / get a water filtering system for a FOWLR tank or can I use ordinary tap water for my setup. Thanks in advance Peter

Scooterman

In any Marine aquarium I would strongly urge the use of RO/DI but there are exceptions, in a few instances water quality is so good that it won't have any ill effects. If you think about doing it, take a sample to a local lab and get it tested first, maybe you could get away with just an RO unit.

Brucey

bon, the guys above have told you how it is ..... but I'm just checking, you do mean for your water setup and not for your ongoing water purification needs ..... ?
Brucey

Brucey I plan to use one if necessary for initial and follow up water . Starting setup and water changes so we are talking about a lot of water . Im looking at RO/DI setups as we speak and if anyone has any suggestions I'll be happy to check them out. How do I give all you helpful people this Karma stuff by the way !!! Thanks Peter

Brucey

Hey Bon .... thats fine mate. Yeah, if you can always use RO (RO/DI even better if you can). Remember when replacing evaporated water only use RO/DI, when doign a water change use SW. See where my reply is, look in the upper right hand corner of my post. There is a button named Karma ..... there's your answer on the karma question matey .......

Brucey

wooddood

the wood dude
i believe an ro/di unit is the best way to go with a fowlr just as much as a full blown reef setup or even for a freshwater setup.it's the purest water your gonna get and is'nt that the ultimate goal?

dwall174

bonerfortuna

Originally posted by bonerfortuna
Im looking at RO/DI setups as we speak and if anyone has any suggestions I'll be happy to check them out.
aquaticreefsystems.com/
Aqua FX
airwaterice.com/
I would avoid getting the 100 gallon per day Dow FilmTec membrane (TW30-1812-100) because it only has a 90% rejection rate. Aquarium Reef Systems does have a true 98% 100GPD membrane, & the others offer the 75GPD membrane that also has a 98% rejection rate. Hope this helps!

Anyone of these vendors are great to work with & they make some very good units! It just depends on what your looking for.

I have the Typhoon "High Rejection" 75GPD unit!