Wanting to buy clam and need some info and tips

jake9015

Hi guys: I am planning on purchasing a clam soon (havnt decided what kind yet) and was wondering If anyone has any tips for me? Also I have a rsm 130d with the stock lighting along with 2 ecoxotic pro modules.... I am planning on upgrading to better Led lighting or ATI SUNPOWER depending on the deals I run by. Thanks for the input

steved13

PREMIUM
Jake, I saw this in another thread, and I couldn't say it better:

clams require stability (tank at least a year for best chance) they need very good water quality and parameters must be maintained in correct zones, lighting is crucial for some and an absolute must for others, some clams live in the sand some on rock, pyramid snails are the major pest along with various fish,crabs etc. There are a couple of major disease's like pinched mantle to learn about, buying a clam is simple, researching its care is a valuable asset

There is a thought that a very small (less than 2-3") clam is more difficult to keep. I tried a couple of smaller ones and didn't have too much luck, I now have 1 about 4" and it's doing great.

DesertOrchid

+1 To Steve's reply. I would suggest starting out with a deresa clam first. Less demanding and still quite beautiful. There currently resides 3 clams in my tank. They have been beautiful to watch grow and yes, change colors. A 6" deresa I bought as a 1 1/2 baby, a gold mantle max and a blue max. Warning..... it is easy to become a clamaholic. *L* I'm looking into a shallow tank just to house MORE clams. Good luck!!

jake9015

Thank you guys.... My plan was to actually start out with a desura clam and work up from there. Il probably wait a couple months until I finish my mods and lighting and stock the tank a bit more. I also am buying a apex Neptune so that'll be nice. Again thanks

map95003

I would also consider a derasa, however under the right water & light conditions they do grow fast. I bought 3 of them 3 yrs ago at about 2"...today I have one at ~11-12". I got rid of the other 2 because I didn't have room in my tank for them.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good info and advice given. Mature tank good lights n a few bucks ur rocking.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back