UV and glass?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Just read an article that states glass is opaque to UV, does that mean normal glass can be used to shield HQI bulbs? I always thought it was a special glass but now I think about UV sterilizers and they require a quartz tube. Information overload on a sunday night, sad, very very sad lol. Steve

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I think you can use regular glass to sheild DE bulbs but I'm tagging along to find out for sure.....

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks Chris and Barb, I did read that before but am wondering about sheilding hqi bulbs. Steve

CATALYST

Regular glass doesn't have any super UV quality to it. I framed pictures for 13 years and dealt with various kinds of UV and conservation types of glass. They also make glass with different types of minerals to change the color clarity as well...white will look more white and less blue or green. A picture hanging on the wall that gets sun with regular glass will fade a lot faster than one that has a UV filter glass. Most of the time, the UV filter on the glass is actually a coating on one side.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
so does anybody know what glass is used in hqi hoods? the only thing Ive seen so far is corning ware

chris&barb

Regular glass doesn't have any super UV quality to it. I framed pictures for 13 years and dealt with various kinds of UV and conservation types of glass. They also make glass with different types of minerals to change the color clarity as well...white will look more white and less blue or green. A picture hanging on the wall that gets sun with regular glass will fade a lot faster than one that has a UV filter glass. Most of the time, the UV filter on the glass is actually a coating on one side.

its funny you mention pictures and uv glass because i also found this link when i was looking Ukiyo-e Gallery

chris&barb

from the first link "Most window glass will absorb a large fraction of the U.V. radiation."

its my understanding that the glass the coralife uses for it DE bulb fixtures is not UV glass, just regular plate glass

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
That was my suspicion as well, I checked with my local glass shop they had no idea even for green house glass, its a conspiracy lol