using super glue toaffix frags to rock.

tried using the gel form that I got from the lfs. Could not get it to set right. Any advice would be helpful. I wonder if I am trying to attach it to fast?

mps9506

First thing, superglue gel only works well on hard corals like sps corals, the stony skeleton of euphyllias etc. and on the bottom of mats like GSP. It does not work well at all on xenia, leathers etc.
Now when gluing the frags you want to take the rock out of the water, dry it off with a towel. dry off the bottom of the frag where you are gluing it. Squeeze a glob of glue on the rock and on the frag. Stick em together and hold for about 10 seconds or so. I then stick it under water while still holding the frag and rock together and a little skin forms of the glue. I continue to hold for about 20 seconds or whenever I get bored or tired. Stick the frag and rock in a spot that doesn't have to much current to let it harden completely for a few hours. Then stick the rock where you want.

I was trying it on the bottom of some zoa frags. I am new to this hobby and my tank is a 29 gallon Bio cube. I was trying to add different zoas to one centeraly located peice of LR, I dont want to pull out that whole rock. What if I was to put the frag in a small cup with a peice of Rubble rock would that frag attach itself to the peice of rubble rock. Then I could glue the bigger peice or just set it on the rock.

mps9506

Yup. sounds like a good plan. I've always had difficulty gluing zoas. I usually just put them in a tupperware with rocks in the tupperware and let them attach naturally. They end up either attached to the rocks or the tupperware if I'm unlucky.

flricordia

I use it on loose zoo frags and frags on rock. I like the Duco gel in Walmart paint section and have used tubes and tubes of it with no problem. To glue loose zoos just remove them from the water, put a dollop of the glue on the bottom making sure to get it around the polyps base so when it sets they are partially trapped in the hardened glue.
As soon as you put the glue on place the frag where you want it and move it around a little to make the superglue at the base of the frag stick to the rock you are attatching the frag to. Once the glue begins to stick to the rock hold the frag steady for a few seconds and that is it.
All of these frags were attatched the way I descibed.

8473zoorock041007-med.jpg

Snappy

That's cool. How about fragging them? Any tips? I have just been throwing a small rock in the middle of the colony for a few weeks and when I pull it out it has zoos on it.