upside down, one side shredded....soo sad...

newreefer13

so my bf got himself a green carpet anemone a few nights ago...after the first night, we get up to find it wrapped around the dang heater...nick got the nem off, but a few hours later i look over at the tank and notice i cant see the nem anywhere, i jump up to go look and the nem has gotten a good part of itself sucked up into the filter!!! jesus, why me? i think...i am very aquarium ignorant, yea i google stuff...i come here alot and read the threads and posts/responses which has given me some insight of course...but when i saw this lil dude being sucked up, i felt like a complete failure and kinda still do. i googled aquarium maintenance in my city and to my surprise came up with quite a few options. i called a couple places, finally finding one that was open (this all took place on saturday). anyways, was advised to pull the tube out of the filter and lie it on the sea floor, hoping that the nem wasnt to badly damaged and would be able to remove himself from the slots in the filter. I did this....but the poor nem is at this moment completely upside down on the floor, yes he's out of the filter piece but a good 1/5 of his circle shaped body is shredded, at some point this evening it literally detached from the rest of the nems body and the two clowns appear to be eating the stringy dead parts off the nem......should i flush this guy?? is he poisoning the rest of the livestock in the tank by slowly dying?? i just dont know what to do but do know that theres quite a few other animals in this tank that i really dont wanna see go belly up like this nem seems to be doing...

reefer gladness

We need to know more about your tank to determine if it's capable of supporting a carpet nem. Pretty much all nems require very strong lighting and lots of water flow, carpet nems in particular are very difficult to care for and depending on your tank and experience may not have been a very good choice to bring home.

If the nem continues to deteriorate you should be prepared to remove it before it fouls the rest of the tank. A turkey baster works well for sucking up the pieces if it comes to that.

Here's a read for you: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/carpet-anemones-beautiful-but-deadly