tweeking a diy skimmer

tommyp

Hi all,

I have a beckett DIY skimmer and can seem to get a dry foam out of it, when I start it up it is dry for a few minutes and then turns wet. I have tweeked the air intake and the height of the foam and haven't found a perfect setting. are there any tricks that I am missing. my skimmer is about 28" tall total and fits under the stand. Do i need to make it taller or should i live with this performance. I used to have a mak4 devoted soley to powering it. After my return pump died last night the mak is half return pump half skimmer pump. I thought it was actually working better but it is in wet foam mode again.

If any one has any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated, I am thinking about lowering the input tube and putting the injector right on the bottom box. that would decrease contact time but might help with the foam production.

Thanks

Tom

Pro_builder

Do you have a pic of the setup that you are currently running?
I would drop the output tube lower, that will drop the faom height, which should make it so that you will product dry Foam instead of wet.
Just my 2 cents

tommyp

pic of skimmer

I have the output plumbed through the top of the box. are you saying to bulkhead it through the side? I did it this way so the output would sit at the surface of the sump. i am up for any suggestions to fix it. I can control the height of the foam with the gate valve. When I have it low it doesn't seem to produce drier foam. it just gunks the riser. If I set the foam height too high it is just wet foam bubbling over. I tend to leave it a bit low but then I don't accumlate any skimmate.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited:

Pro_builder

Ok, don't you have a Valve on the output side of the skimmer, to regulate the height of the foam?
What I am trying to get done is drop the foam height so that the foam has to rise farther to get to the cup. This will produce a dryer foam for ya.
If you are regulating the input side then slow the input to drop the foam height.

tommyp

Gots a big red gate valve on the output. I can set the foam height where ever in the riser tube. But I still am not able to get dry foam. You would think that lowering it would work but it just creates wet foam lower in the tube. :(

I am thinking of dropping the injector down so that it is close to the box. I dunno. It is really baffling to me. The only thing I can figure is that I am skimming everything out but I don't think that's the case? replacing the beckett with an eductor might be my next option. I put them on my return outputs and they work great.

T

Pro_builder

ok, I don't think I am understanding this right.
If you drop the foam height the foam will still be wet in the mixing tube, but what is the foam like in the collection cup? If it takes longer to get to the collection cup then it should be dryer???
:confused:

tommyp

It doesn't make it to the collection cup if I drop the foam. Sometimes it ittermittantly makes some dry foam but it has been very rare. It just stays in the collection tube and bubles below the collection cup.

tom

openbrain

Tom, my skimmer does the same thing sometimes, I figure it's just cause there's nothing to skim. When the beckett style skimmer first came out I remember some one saying that the output had to be above the water. I noticed in the pic that your skimmer is submerged. I know your output is at the top but I think that might be your problem you might be getting some back pressure because it is at the top. It may not have the flow though you need causing it to reskim whats in the bottom. you might have to run it outside the sump to get the results your looking for.

tommyp

cool idea

Don,

Thanks for the ideas.I usually run the skimmer output at the level of the sump. I am thinking that I should do something with the output. I just get afraid that I am not getting enough skimming out of this skimmer for the amount of electricity that I push through it.

How would I set it up for external use? where would the output be plumbed to. Should i redrill the outlet to a side of the box? I know your skimmer has a taller riser tube if I ran it external I might extend the riser tube.

Happy holidays

Tom