Those compartments behind the Nano Cube

gussy

I just got a 12G Nano Cube DX. At the back of the tank are 3 small compartment. The overflow goes to a compartment with coarse filter, next is where the carbon, ceramic, and bio-balls go, and lastly the pump.

I'm removing everything in the middle compartment (e.g. carbon, bio-balls, ceramics). What should I put in there? LR, LS, or more coarse sponge for copepods?

mps9506

A Euroreef protein skimmer :D j/k...
I think most folks put liverock. I personally would leave it bare, I think the live rock will contribute to the build up of detrius in the compartment and will be difficult to clean because of the location.
JMO...
Mike

NaH2O

Contributing Member
gussy, I just set up the same tank, and removed everything that came with it. All compartments are bare. I thought about putting live rock rubble in the middle compartment, but as Mike indicated, I'm concerned about detritus building up in there.

LOL, Mike, if I could fit my Euro-reef CS8-3 on that tank, I would (even though there isn't enough water to fill the skimmer body).....could that be considered overskimming?? nah...impossible :)

mps9506

Technically any external recirculating skimmer could be fitted to that tank, just stick a small feed pump into the chamber, and pump water to the skimmer body where it is churned up by needlewheel venturi pumps.

FWIW my buddies new deltec holds 12 gallons of water also :)

gussy

I couldn't find any skimmer that would fit. However, I could just put in another submersible pump. I read somewhere that if you put coarse filter media, it will increase you copepod population.

Nano cube question.

We sell those at my store and people seem to really enjoy them! The only problem is again finding a skimmer to fit. But I would remove everything except bio balls while the tank cycles. After it has then bio load to tank. After that I would add back the coarse pads for prefilter reasons. The I would keep up on weekly water changes no more than a gallon or two. This should take care of waste (replace skimmer even though I 110% support skimmers) And think they are one of the best filtration equiptment you can buy!
Good luck
Marinelover,
Shawn

Grymatta

if i add another powerhead to the tank..do i need to drill a hole to fit the power cord from the powerhead through the hood? I dont see any predrilled holes or openings in the hood...

the same thing with a heater. How am I supposed to run the heater power cord through the hood?

skimerwhisperer

current usa is making their own nano tank, and they are making a skimmer that will also fit into the jbj nano tank, at least in the 12g, and 24g.

Attachments

• fission.JPG
    fission.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 107

bam20747

Grymatta said:
if i add another powerhead to the tank..do i need to drill a hole to fit the power cord from the powerhead through the hood? I dont see any predrilled holes or openings in the hood...

the same thing with a heater. How am I supposed to run the heater power cord through the hood?

i have a 12g nano dx and there is a place for the power cord on the left side in the back. i have live sand in my second compartment. my tank has been up for for 2 months i don't have a protein skimmer and my nitrate levels are low btween 5-10. i do a 2g water change every week. i have 2 tomato clowns, some soft coral, zoos and some polyps. various snails and crabs, and 2 pepermint shrimp. Good Luck it is addictive