This algae scrubber thing... Help?

So ive been reading about these algae scrubbers and I think its genius. Will this help with my cyano problem also? And can someone go into more detail how to make one thats small as I do not have a sump so it.would have to go in display tank all help would be hreatly appreciated. I tried to read some diy for building one bit I just dont get it

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Look at the new UAS (uses a bubble wand). Also Santa Monica has a premade unit you can buy for like $60.

....Secret Super Hero....

dmatt88

Let's face it. Algae, as corals do, compete. Get ur choice of algae in ur
System (mines chaeto) n ur golden. Whatever way u go just feed it. Matt

.............its calibrate ur hydrometer month. no not really but Sheez its important.

Im currently using hob filters would I be able to put small grow light above one remove sponge add egg crate and fill with cheato essent ou ally that woild work the same way right? And if I used cheato would this get rid of my cyano problem?

sk8rdn

Only good water husbandry skills will get rid of it, but the algae will feed on the chemicals floating in the system. And thus help to starve out the cayno.

Watch putting a bright, hot light over a plastic HOB. Plastic does melt, ya know... :)

sk8rdn

Driftbuddy1988 said:
I have a small led fixture that emits almost no heat. So will my hang on back with cheato work?

U nless the LEDs are red (in the 670nm range) it won't work.

As to the HOB, it may, but not well. Look at the UAS I posted.

Also, good husbandry skills. There are few shortcuts in this hobby.

sk8rdn

Essentially it is an under water and upside down version of an algae scrubber.

dmatt88

Im currently using hob filters would I be able to put small grow light above one remove sponge add egg crate and fill with cheato essent ou ally that woild work the same way right? And if I used cheato would this get rid of my cyano problem?

Good idea. However space will b an issue. That's why sumps r popular

.............its calibrate ur hydrometer month. no not really but Sheez its important.

I am working on sump but im a few months away from moving everything to a 295 acrylic tank and I have a 55 gallon sump on that tank but im looking for something to use on this tank (65 gallon tall) in the mean time. I read through that article earlier but I didnt understamd but let me read through it again

And if u put cheato in my hang on back which I,have two they are both over a foot wide about ten inches deep and front to back about six inches

sk8rdn

The basic idea (of any algae scrubber) of the UAS is to promote the growth of algae in a defined area.

Algae needs 3 things: food, light, and flow.

Light is supplied by the light (simple enough...)
Flow by an air pump and bubble wand.
Food is the unwanted chemicals already in your tank from bad source water or over feeding.

sk8rdn

Driftbuddy1988 said:
And if u put cheato in my hang on back which I,have two they are both over a foot wide about ten inches deep and front to back about six inches

So a emperor biowheel 400?

sk8rdn

Oh, I see.

Did you have any other specific questions on the UAS or ATS?