That's it, I'm done!

EdgeKrusher

Probably had you guys thinking, Good he's gone.
No, I'm just done fighting this Cyano by means other than chemical. It's in my LS, LR, and starting to cover some of my shrooms. What is the best and least harmful chemical I can use to get rid of this pest. I've tried everything, it's really out of control at this point and I need a fix ASAP.

Thanks

EK

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Gee EK cyano is a dogs breakfast for sure. I really hate to see ya go down the path of chemical. Chemicals are usually non discriminate so they will affect all types of algae, now remember your corals all have algae in them to.
If you want let me know what beens going on and I can try to help.

MIke

EdgeKrusher

All right, well my tank was Cyano free until i got my first corals a little over a month ago. about a day after I put the corals in the tank i noticed this red slime, had it ID'd on RC, and was told several remedies. I've tried them all, I've taken the infected LR out and given it a good scrubdown, I've increased flow with a minijet 404 in the area of infection, just seems to spread the stuff faster. I've started feeding my fish every other day twice a day, small doses. I've done several 25% water changes to try and remove some of the phosphates that i'm sure my food is leaving behind.
Monday night I did another water change, took the infected LR and Shell out of the tank and cleaned it in the old tank water, I mean got a tooth brush and scrubbed til I thought i had it all. I put all the stuff back in, and was satisfied that this time it would work. Oh how wrong I was. I woke up yesterday, and left for work. When I got home the Cyano had come back seven fold. it was on LR that hadn't been infected before, in the sand down few centimeters, it was covering the shrooms on one of the rocks. it killed my yellow encrusting sponge. It's overtaking my anthelia. And the funny thing is, all my friends think it's the coolest looking thing in my tank... :(

Thanks

EK

Curtswearing

EK----

We certainly don't want you to leave.

Mojo,
In a nutshell, he has started dripping kalk to precipitate the phosphates, dropped the amount of formula 1 and brine that he was feeding, his bulbs are very new and he has a reasonable photoperiod, he get's RO/DI water from his fish store.

BTW EK, I once got a bad batch of RO/DI from my LFS. They needed to change their membrane and they didn't.

EdgeKrusher

That's ok Curt, thanks for filling them in. I'm just busy right now and hve to type fast, I had a very long night, and my brain isn't fuctioning like it should be. :explode: :columbo:

EK

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Dripping kalk even solved my problem with cyano at petco where I have the worst water on the planet.

wooddood

the wood dude
edge remember not long ago teri had a bad outbreak of cyno?talk to her and see what methods she used.do a search on here because there have been a few threads already on this.i also have a post on how i over came the same problem,and yes i used chemicals. and yes i would do it again if the cyno were to reappear.hang in there were all here to help ya.dave.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
ok Ek it sounds like your lighting and flow are good so those are eliminated. The problem then most likely lies in a nutrient food source. So lets find out where it comes from. We just need to do some quick phosphate and nitrate tests.
Take water samples from the top of you sand and LR, water should be drawn about an 1/8 of an inch away from the surface. if the cyano is on the surface pull it away first. nw just do a quick phosphate and nitrate test on these areas.
Also give you ro water a quick test for phosphates.

give that a good and then we can work it from thier.

Mike

EdgeKrusher

K well I guess I have to pick up a phosephate test after work, yay I get to go to the LFS. :D I'll then post the reults of that test.

Thanks

EK