TFE Paste (Plumbing Question)

Does anyone know if this stuff is ok to use on threaded connections?

Ace TFE Paste Pipe Thread Compound

imagemagic.php

This stuff is a lot easier to use than teflon tape and I think it provides for a better connection than the tape.

Thanks and God bless,
Chris

cioutlaw

Paste is not a sealer, it is a lubricant. the metal to metal or plastic to plastic contact between the threads are what seals the joint. Although It is oil based & most likely not good for an aquarium. I would use the teflon tape, as long as it is wrapped the right direction it is not hard to put on.

SubRosa

If it's rated for potable water it's safe.It most definitely does seal threads, although I admittedly have only used it for plumbing and HVAC work and never in a situation with SW contact.Teflon is a pretty inert substance at least chemically speaking so I can't imagine SW having much impact on it.

John

It is rated for potable water. I got hooked on using it when I was working under my sink a few weeks back. It's hard to get good wraps with the tape in such confined areas so I used the paste...much easier and more effective I think.

BTW...I went ahead and used it on my kalk reactor. I had a small leak in a glued joint. Replaced the leaking portion and used the TFE paste on the threaded connections. I then washed it out for a while with a 1:1 vinegar solution just in case.

Everything is dry now though!

God bless,
Chris

what's in the MSDS that you don't like? I haven't seen any adverse effects from using it. Granted, I didn't squirt it in the tank, only put it on 2 fittings, but I haven't noticed anything different except no leaks (not to say the tape wouldn't have done the same thing)

mps9506

CHRONIC:ANIMAL STUDIES CLEARLY DEMONSTRATED DOSE-
RELATED ADVERSE EFFECTS ON THE CNS, THE BLOOD FORMING TISSUES, THE BLOOD,
THE KIDNEYS AND LIVER, ASSOCIATED WITH THE ADMINISTRATION OF ETHYLENE
GLYCOL MONOBUTYL ETHER (EGBE) (FP N).

From the msds

cioutlaw

I'm not saying you would have any problems but I personally don't take any chances when there are alternatives.