Tangs : what live macro you all feed ?

saltysue

Hi, looking for names of live macro algae to feed my tangs. So far i have arriving today :
Gracilaria (red ogo, green and brown)
ulva
chaeto
codium

sargassum : This arrived yesterday, i placed the bottoms of clump in a rubberband and jammed them into a empty heavy shell, secured it with the rubberband and dropped it where i thought it looked nice, please tell me if it needs to come out for any reason).

My tangs: yellow, scopas, clown, naso and kole. The naso and kole dont seem to care for little shrimps etc. they will pick lightly at flakes but dont seem to prefer them at all. They pick at the live rock in the tank but i dont think i have enough algae on the lr to feed two large tangs. wont touch nori either. The Naso will sometimes be picking at attempting to eat the sargassum i got in yesterday. While he is eating it i would not call it a feeding frenzy by any means.

I have ordered these. Any others i should condsider getting that they would enjoy eating and might not look bad in clumps placed strategicly around the tank ? Please specify if algae type is invasive or nees caution to prevent over running the tank. I like the idea of placing it in the tank where it can grow and feed the fish (assuming the fish dont eat it gone instantly LOL.

Thanks.

saltysue

Is there more than one kind of caulerpa ?Can you plant it in your tank ? If not does it get invasive if it gets loose in the tank etc ? If yes how do you feed it safely to prevent a take over ?

breezey1127

Caulerpa is the genus and there are several species. I believe many people plant it. Caulerpa is in an invasive large-scale species in the wild and has spread to new areas in the world due to the aquaria trade, not sure how it grows in the aquarium as this is small scale.

Source: I took a class on algae and seaweed :)

mbdave

Hi, looking for names of live macro algae to feed my tangs. So far i have arriving today :
Gracilaria (red ogo, green and brown)
ulva
chaeto
codium

sargassum : This arrived yesterday, i placed the bottoms of clump in a rubberband and jammed them into a empty heavy shell, secured it with the rubberband and dropped it where i thought it looked nice, please tell me if it needs to come out for any reason).

(The sargassum is the prefered food of Nasos he or she will love it.)

My tangs: yellow, scopas, clown, naso and kole. The naso and kole dont seem to care for little shrimps etc. they will pick lightly at flakes but dont seem to prefer them at all. They pick at the live rock in the tank but i dont think i have enough algae on the lr to feed two large tangs. wont touch nori either. The Naso will sometimes be picking at attempting to eat the sargassum i got in yesterday. While he is eating it i would not call it a feeding frenzy by any means.

(Give the Naso time if it feels good it will eat, also try some brown nori tied to a rock or on a clip lower in the tank. Throw in some green nori and some romaine lettuce on clips also.)

I have ordered these. Any others i should condsider getting that they would enjoy eating and might not look bad in clumps placed strategicly around the tank ? Please specify if algae type is invasive or nees caution to prevent over running the tank. I like the idea of placing it in the tank where it can grow and feed the fish (assuming the fish dont eat it gone instantly LOL.

(Personally I like the nori sheets they are pretty inexpensive and though some tangs are a little reluctant to eat them at first once they figure it out they will follow your hand as you hang the clip.)

Thanks.

Good luck,
Dave

saltysue

Thanks dave. I will keep putting the green nori in the tank on clips for them. So far they have grazed lightly on the sargassum, but in fairness these fish are in a qt tank and were very stressed from shipping etc. Im hoping that they start feeding more, they are swimming more actively now (the naso was always swimming but others kind of hung back and woulld dart in panic when i walked into the room). I just am very leary of mortality in new fish from lack of eating. I had been stuffing so much food at them the other day i had to go in and pick it back out, im sure they enjoyed my hand in there grabbing at stuff they were hiding near LOL.