SW Fish Only Tank w/o Live Rock

zjsm36

I'm contemplating starting up a FO tank in the next year. I'm planning on a tank somewhere b/w 75-100 gallons. I would like to have a tank w/ some triggers and other fish not compatible w/ corals.

I understand the benefits of live rock and the natural filtration that comes with it. However, if I don't plan on having any corals how hard is it to maintain high quality water without the natural ecosystem and filter that live rock brings. I see one upside is that if there was ever a parasite/ich outbreak I would be able to treat the fish w/o removal to a QT tank because there wouldn't be any corals to lose in the tank when using a copper based chemical.
Anyone have experience or advice about setting up a tank like this?

zjsm36

Not really sure. Thats why I'm asking the question here.

I was planning on setting everything and adding some sand and water from my current reef tank to get the cycling process started.

My idea was to put have a tank w/ sand and the fake corals/rock decorations. Also, planned on having a sump w/ a protein skimmer below for filtering.

Anyone here ever set up a FO tank w/o live rock. I've seen several videos on youtube. So I dont think its that uncommon. Thanks in advance.

blythe

I have done this for the past 10yrs of so. It isn't difficult. I have always used a slightly oversized canister filter, crushed coral substrate and fake corals for decoration.