Sun Coral Baby

Xanareef

Hello Everyone! (this has been cut and pasted :D)

Yesterday we discovered a tiny sun coral polyp sprouting out of our rock work. It is not anywhere near where the coral resides, and it's in a cranny between the rockwork and glass, where it would have been impossible for the mother colony to have bumped against and possibly have left a residue that grew into a new polyp.

Now, my interest lies in this:

Has anyone else experienced sun corals spreading in this fashion?

Could it have released spores or eggs and one survived?

Any theories anyone would like to throw into the mix?

The only other thing this polyp could be is the yellowest anenome I've ever heard of. Which, of course, leads to the question of yellow anemone's. Can anyone point me to a non dyed yellow specimen (and I mean YELLOW)?

This tank has not had an addition in well over 3 months.

I would like to show pictures, and hope to in the near future, as we will be breaking down and moving our tank in September. However at this time the polyp is in such an ackward place that it's quite impossible to get a clear image.

Thanks,

Alexis

Curtswearing

Tubastrea has been reproduced by asexual budding, breaking as well as (sexual) planula release. Turbinaria are easily propagated by the breaking off of pieces from a well-adjusted, healthy colony. This genus has also been observed to release planula larvae in captivity.

I would suspect that ya got yourself a baby there.

Sun Coral Reproduction