Sump?

HUNTER1

I'm starting. Mr aqua 17g 24x12x14. Is it better to set it up with a 10g sump with just one baffle or without sump and just Aquaclear 50 for filtration? thanks

DaveK

You could add a sump if you like. Done properly, it's not going to hurt anything. However, sumps on smaller tanks are usually not very cost effective. By this I mean your going to spend a lot more on the sump than it's benefits to the system.

Now if you want a nice DIY project and have some fun in construction, by all means install a sump. However, if you just want your system to work, a decent outside filter or canister filter will work fine. Just remember to clean them weekly.

HUNTER1

You could add a sump if you like. Done properly, it's not going to hurt anything. However, sumps on smaller tanks are usually not very cost effective. By this I mean your going to spend a lot more on the sump than it's benefits to the system.

Now if you want a nice DIY project and have some fun in construction, by all means install a sump. However, if you just want your system to work, a decent outside filter or canister filter will work fine. Just remember to clean them weekly.
Yeah I think I'll just go with aquaclear filter and powerhead. I'll reserve the sump for larger project.

AC273

If you want an easy in between solution, pick up a canister filter. Just be mindful to get one that has bio media that is able to house both Aerobic and Anaerobic bacteria. My favorite (and I have had quite a few) is the Eheim EccoPro. It is easy, does an awesome job of getting you clear water, and the bio media can house both types of bacteria along with pods, bristle worms, feather dusters, and all the good critters that help support a healthy system.

Edit: I forgot to note that it is also, by far, the quietest canister I have ever owned. (I feel like I should see if Eheim has an opening for a sales rep.) lol :)

DaveK

If you want an easy in between solution, pick up a canister filter. Just be mindful to get one that has bio media that is able to house both Aerobic and Anaerobic bacteria. My favorite (and I have had quite a few) is the Eheim EccoPro. It is easy, does an awesome job of getting you clear water, and the bio media can house both types of bacteria along with pods, bristle worms, feather dusters, and all the good critters that help support a healthy system.

Edit: I forgot to note that it is also, by far, the quietest canister I have ever owned. (I feel like I should see if Eheim has an opening for a sales rep.) lol :)

In my opinion, the biomedia should not be used in a canister filter on a SW reef system. It's got a lot of downsides. First off, you don't need it. That's why you have all that live rock and live sand in your tank. The biomedia also tends to become a dirt trap that you can not easily clean. It's porous and once the bacteria get in there, the bacteria slimes clog it all up inside, and you can't get that out without killing the bacteria. The media is also a massive oxygen consumer, because it's in the canister, which is a sealed container. You also have another problem if the media does start hosting "pods, bristle worms, feather dusters, and all the good critters". If you have a power failure for any length of time, and this can be only a few hours, all of that will die, and cause a major pollution problem for you.

The best solution is to remove the bio-media, and use only mechanical media and, if needed, chemical media.

burning2nd

when i started years ago.. I ran for about 2 weeks b4 i realized i needed a sump
I build a 10g sump with 4 baffles... moved from that house... used a 45g for a few years.. (which was plumbed thur the wall) and now i moved to this house we bought... and ended up going back to the original sump that i made in the beginning
IMO no media.. No restriction, nothing to catch detrius... you sump will be free flowing.. your heaters can be there you HOB skimmer can be there... and a Auto top off.. in the return side.

Picture3000028.jpg

years and years ago
Picture3000190.jpg

notice the skimmer on the tank still

Picture3000407.jpg

Picture3000406.jpg

Picture3000409.jpg

Picture3000577.jpg