Sump Size?

Tosh_Auer

I have been reading alot of threads about people making sumps for 30gal and thereabouts size tanks. I was wondering is there an need for a bigger sump for a bigger tank? I am planning a 75 gal tank and was wondering how bigger sump i should have? I live in QLD in Australia and therefore can get as much LR as i need for free so i was wondering is it possible to have too much LR? Are there any other factors for Sump size i havn't mentioned other then equipment size and increasing water volume? Thanks for the help

Maxx

I am planning a 75 gal tank and was wondering how bigger sump i should have?
Well that depends...how much room ya got? Ive seen people w/ a sump twice the size of their display tank. I've seen people w/o a sump at all....just depends on what space limitations you have and what your wanting to do with it.
is it possible to have too much LR?
I would say yes, but someone else might not. I would say if it interferes w/ the water flow through your sump, you have too much. Luckily for you, if you find yourself in this position, you can put it back...
Are there any other factors for Sump size i havn't mentioned other then equipment size and increasing water volume?
What are you wanting to keep in this tank?
Nick

Tosh_Auer

I have about an area equal to that of my display tank for a sump althought would rather not have to buy another 75gal tank. Um and i will start off with just fish and live rock but soon move onto corals so trying to get myself ready for the long term.

Maxx

Okay,
With the idea being to upgrade into a reef later on down the line, I'm assuming you want to be able to keep SPS and clams which are the most light loving reef animals. They are also the most demanding of water quality, so if you can keep those, you should be able to keep almost anything.
Personally,
I would go w/ about a 30 gallon sump, DIY acrylic baffles in the sump to prevent bubbles from getting back to the main tank. I would place my heater and design a way to place the skimmer under the stand w/o taking up too much (in) sump space. I would go w/ about 1-1.5 (US) pounds of liverock per gallon of the whole set up(105 Gallons). I like more open areas in the reef/main tank, as opposed to the rock wall look of many tanks, so I would aquascape to my satisfaction and place the remainder of the rock in the sump. As long as the rock isnt interfering w/ you the water flow in the sump, or to the skimmer you should be fine. I would also take precautions to insure that you dont have a leak during a power outage. There are many ways to do this, let me know if I can help you out in that area.
Nick

David

Errrr, yes you can get a ton of live rock off the coast, but I would check with the National Park and Wildlife Service and the Department of Primary Industries first. I heard along the line that there were some hefty fines for 'gathering' live rock.

Also, keep in mind, we get some crazy stuff in the live rock here in Queensland - a lot of which dies in transit. A LOT. Beware the dreaded ammonia spike if you throw a lot in a display tank without curing it.

Arghhhhhh! A dingoes got my baby!

Tosh_Auer

Thanks Max and i wouldn't dought it if i needed your help again sometime. David yeah i know there are restrictions on what you can take and also i have kept fw tanks for quite some time so i know about ammonia spikes.
Thanks for all the help