Sump for Dummies

Draco

Hi all,

I am investigating using a sump in my future tank upgrade. I've never had one before and I am trying to clear up some confusion.

Please help?

1. Does the main tank HAVE to be drilled for the sump?
2. Or Does it need to be drilled for the overflow box?
3. is the overflow box required?
4. I really doubt I'd be able to build my own, can someone suggest where and what brand sump to buy?
5. Is a skimmer really needed for said sump?
6. Any particular ratio from tank to sump? (ie: Tank is 40 gal, suggest sump size is...)
7. Does this replace the filter that's already in the tank?

Please and thank you!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi all,

I am investigating using a sump in my future tank upgrade. I've never had one before and I am trying to clear up some confusion.

Please help?

1. Does the main tank HAVE to be drilled for the sump? No, you can use an overflow such as lifereef
2. Or Does it need to be drilled for the overflow box? No, the overflow gets water down to the sump.
3. is the overflow box required? Yes, if you are not going to drill the tank you need an overflow.
4. I really doubt I'd be able to build my own, can someone suggest where and what brand sump to buy? I built mine, it was super simple. I bought a 20 gallon tank (use the biggest that will fit in your sump area), then measured the inside and had 3 pieces of glass cut at a glass store that were 1/4" shorter than the width of the tank. Glued the 3 pieces in place (these are baffles), and it is done. Nothing more than that.
5. Is a skimmer really needed for said sump? Well you should have a skimmer, so you need one somewhere.
6. Any particular ratio from tank to sump? (ie: Tank is 40 gal, suggest sump size is...) The largest you can fit in the sump area is always the recommendation.
7. Does this replace the filter that's already in the tank? Not sure what you are asking.

Please and thank you!

Draco

thanks Greg! Very helpful!

my last question, I have a filter inside the tank. Would I need the filter there once I add the sump? (does that make sense?)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Not sure what kind of filter you're talking about. Are you talking about a hang on filter?
What tank is it?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Oh ok. You would probably be best to keep the filter running. I'm not about adding a sump to such a small tank. I guess the added water volume would help, but not sure it is needed, see what others think.

Why do you want to add one?

Draco

Oh ok. You would probably be best to keep the filter running. I'm not about adding a sump to such a small tank. I guess the added water volume would help, but not sure it is needed, see what others think.

Why do you want to add one?

When I move and get settled in, I am planning on upgrading to a bigger tank. I am thinking maybe 40-50 gals, depending how big I can go with my planned space. Since I'm getting a bigger tank, I am thinking a sump would be most helpful

my 9 gal would either be sold, or converted to FW Planted tank

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ok that makes sense! Looking forward to seeing your new build!!

frisbee

Hi all,

Please help?

1. Does the main tank HAVE to be drilled for the sump?
2. Or Does it need to be drilled for the overflow box?
3. is the overflow box required?
4. I really doubt I'd be able to build my own, can someone suggest where and what brand sump to buy?
5. Is a skimmer really needed for said sump?
6. Any particular ratio from tank to sump? (ie: Tank is 40 gal, suggest sump size is...)
7. Does this replace the filter that's already in the tank?

Please and thank you!

Check these out.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php (parts 1, 2, & 3)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/9/diy/view

HTH.

Snid

You could also save the 9 gallon to use as a QT/Hospital tank. It's a bit small, but not unreasonable.

Draco

thank you, both above!

Smart idea, Snid. I didn't even consider that. I just may do that.

I will check out those links tonight when I have more time. The more I read up, the better understanding I am getting on how to build one.