Suggestions on Turbelle placement?

tankgirl

I was thinking about placing the Turbelles like this?

With the controllers, I'm hoping it will generate enough chaotic water movement, but I'd also like them to blow detritus out from under the rocks and make it easy to siphon out - that's why I'd like to place them all on the same side - unless there's overwhelming suggestions not to do that.

Forgot; it's a barebottom tank.

Any advice, suggestions, reality-checks?

Last edited:

Scooterman

How do you plan on mounting them That deep?
With the extensions I have on mine, it will not reach the bottom. I find they best perform from mid to lower tank, as too high will suck in air. If your wanting to keep things blowing at low levels, maybe think about a CLS with a spray perforated bar across the bottom. On another note, if you place a rock in front of one of these, I feel your defeating the purpose of the stream all together.
JMO

tankgirl

Hi Scott,
Thanks!! Good advice! I hate the way they look hanging because I have the walkaround tank (no blue or dark backdrop, so they stick out badly).

I was going to make a long acrylic L-shaped strip that would run along the bottom of the tank, then glue dowels on it that will hold the Turbelles in place. I have pretty open rockwork, and there's pretty good room for the water movement? I can also angle them up around 45 degrees?

I see your point about the spray bar. I could put acrylic dowels all the way up in each corner of the tank, then position the Turbelles just below middle height but it sure would mess up the viewing.

That's why I'm asking here! :) :)

Scooterman

Yes, your set-up is very open, I like that & having these big round tubs hanging in there looks well you know. I like these, I really like the out flow but I don't like the looks. I know the fake rocks they make could be used in some cases but not in most. on another note, no pumps & plumbing worry about, less up-keep. There is goods & bads of having these, your idea sounds like it will work out just fine but unless I could actually see what you have, it is hard to make suggestions. You can get black PVC for the spray bar.

tankgirl

Thanks, Scott!!! Yeah, I love that the pumps push a big volume but without the hurricane at the core. I want to mount them low cause they'd look awful otherwise. I know you said you couldn't really tell without seeing the setup, but offhand does this seem like a better setup?

Pro_builder

If you run a spray bar you will want to run smaller holes to get more of a jet (high velocity) than just water movement
HTH

Playa

tg said:
"Hi Johnny! Does a spray bar have the kind of ooomph that will get detritus out from under the rocks?"

tg with that many turbelles you would be pealing off glass from the inside of the tank:)

I am not sure what size turbelles you plan to buy and at what rate you plan to run them, but the 2 I have, are now running at about 45% and they do a great job.

I have the 6000 model tg.

tankgirl

Luis, I'm trying to get the kind of water movement mojo (Mike) has - to keep detritus in suspension?

The walkaround tank's a real problem for creating chaotic currents. But, I can't stand the idea of hanging phs from the top. Plus, I can't reach the bottom to do any kind of plumbing down there.

I already have a 6080 and a 6100 Turbelle and have asked my husband for another 6100 (plus controller) for Xmas. I had to get the 6100's because they're the only ones with long enough cords for the tank.

I could alternate the two 6100's on & off to help move the water in different directions. If I did that, it would (all together) only be about 30x (the tank volume per hour) movement?

I really appreciate everyone's help on this!!! The way the water moves now is this;

Maxx

TG, the decorative rocks they make for the turbelles are pretty good. Ugly at first til the coralline covers em up, but afterwards, you'll never tell that they're not LR. As far as spraybars go...just keep in mind that things will encrust the holes of your spray bar, and clog it from time to time. So you will need to be able to reach it for maintenance. I would go w/ either your plan of using the turbelles, or maybe a powerhead or three to blow stuff out and in to suspension. I'm suggestion the powerheads because you dont have any anemones, and they are much cheaper and less powerful. This way you can get good flow w/o having to throttle back your expensive and well made Turbelles to do the job the Powerhead is quite capable of. This way you can have the turbelles moving current and your powerheads moving crap into the current for removal...
just a thought,
Nick

tankgirl

Thanks, Maxx!!! Good thinking!!! Although the way I was thinking, was to avoid a lot of in-tank pheads - I was hoping the Turbelles would softly move lotsa tank water and do the job?

Scott sent me his setup diagram (that he uses) - had trouble posting the image, I think because it wasn't a jpeg but an autocad type format. Anyway, here it is - looks cool!

I cut off the part that says the mid-level pumps are at the front and the low-placed pumps are at the back of the tank. I don't have a front and back.

I really really appreciate the help and suggestions - everyone! I already have the Turbelles, and love the fact that they don't have that hurricane vortex at the center. Would like to use them unless everyone says don't do it.