?Substrate question?

docspyro

I am starting up a new saltwater fish only tank. I want to try using a black substrate this time; would Caribsea Aragalive indo-pacific substrate bea good idea to use? Also will it affect the pH and keep it stable?Any suggestions on what to use would be helpful..thanks

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I don't think that the black stuff is real aragonite, just silica, so it wouldn't help with the PH at all. That is really your only option for a black sand substrate, but you could also use starboard, as I beleive it is available in black.

ReefLady

Staff member
Personally, I don't consider a substrate's pH buffering capacity when adding to the tank. You're better off ignoring it and

A) getting the substrate you want and

B) not depending on it, testing and adjusting your pH as if there were no buffering there at all. Then you don't make the mistake of depending on it.

Let us know how it works out! I love the idea of a black substrate myself. :)

Travis

JennM

I concur with Travis.

The Indo Black stuff looks nice - we have put it in a few new installs.

Jenn

Deuce

How often shold you clean the substrate with syphon. i am starting to notice a few areas of substrate starting to brown. I am using about 2" deep argonite crushed substrate.:D

mwrager

Welcome Deuce to the Sanctuary. As to cleaning the substrate. I dont clean my substrate. I use crabs and snails to clean it.

Deuce

I have 3 snails working OT on the back glass and rock. Is it normal to have the slight brown coloration on the substrate. What about using a cuke for det removal. I don't have a lot of room on the floor so I don't want a sand sifting star.

Deuce

Thank you for the warm welcome to the reef mwrager. I see that you are in Gilbert. I live in the east valley as well. Are there any local reefers that meet on occassion? Where do you get fish from locally? I have tried both All Aquatics and Aquarium Arts. Are these good/bad ?

Gina

RS STAFF
:welcomera What you are talking about sounds like a normal occurence when first starting up. We had a outbreak of algae (brown) for about 1 week then it slowly went away. When I asked about it on another forum we belonged to I was told it was a normal process.

As far as clean-up go with snails and we got a fighting conch that has made the world of difference with keeping our sand clean!

jks1

Welcome Dueceand Docs!

Docs- I think the black would look cool, take a pic if you can

Duece- how big is your tank? I use snails/hermits/conchs etc to keep my sand bed cleaned as well. Maybe you just need to add a few more.