Stocking Ideas for 56 gal tank

hardtimes

Just picked up a new 56 gallon column tank. Was thinking about going FW with this one. Just looking for some ideas or schemes I could work with. If you have an idea, lets hear it.

Was also thinking about going with a canister filter on this tank. Would I be better off with a canister or HOB filter with this sized tank?

Thanks
Ray

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
If your doing FW I like HOB filters mainly cause they are easier to clean, as far as stocking planted tanks are very nice :)

DaveK

If your doing FW I like HOB filters mainly cause they are easier to clean, as far as stocking planted tanks are very nice :)

I don't usually disagree with Eric on stuff, but on a FW tank, especially if it's going to be a planted tank, a canister is a far better choice.

The current crop of HOB filters all have small media compartments, and you don't get much choice of media. Yes, they are easy to clean but that's about it.

A canister will allow much larger quantities of media and there is a huge selection. Also, because the way a canister is constructed, it can usually run long periods of time between cleaning. This isn't what you want in SW, but for a FW tank, especially a planted one, it's perfect.

If you do happen to want a planted tank, canisters can also keep CO2 in the water better than HOB filters.

If your going to get a canister filter the brand of choice is usually considered to be Eheim. They are excellent, and I use one myself on my FW planted tank, but they are very expensive.

hardtimes

I was actually looking at a Eheim Pro 3 2073 rated for a 95 gallon tank. Would a canister filter rated for almost double my tank size be good? What kind of substrate should I use if I were to go with a planted tank? What kind of fish could I stock with a planted tank?
Thanks
Ray

Shagon

You can't go wrong with ciclids. As for mine I have a shark tank.(small asian catfish) I have rainbow sharks, red line sharks, flying foxes, and a red tail shark. I have a blue crawfish, feadler crab, and a golden apple snail. And hob will do a great job. Just get one oversized for the tank and make sure it has bio wheels. And use a under gravel pick up. It help keep the bacteria in the gravel feed and the water moving over them.

DaveK

I was actually looking at a Eheim Pro 3 2073 rated for a 95 gallon tank. Would a canister filter rated for almost double my tank size be good? What kind of substrate should I use if I were to go with a planted tank? What kind of fish could I stock with a planted tank?
Thanks
Ray

On filter sizes, lets just say the all manufacturers tend to be "very optimistic" when it comes to ratting the size tank the filter can handle. Having one larger will not hut anything.

You are going to see several methods of doing the substrata in a planted tank.

Lowest cost is plain old aquarium gravel to about 3 inches, and optionally lace the bottom half with laterite, with is a tropical dirt.

Next most expensive is Caribsea Eco Complete - See this link (offsite) - CaribSea Planted Aquarium | Eco-Complete Planted | Eco-Complete Red | Floramax
-or-
SeaChem Flourite - See this link (offsite) - Seachem. Flourite

At the extreme high end there is the substrata system of Aquasoil and Power Sand sold by ADA (Aqua Design Amano) This stuff is out of sight expensive, but among the planted aquarium people that use it, it has become THE substrata system, assuming almost mythical attributes of goodness. See this link (offsite) for the company - Aqua Design Amano Co., Ltd (ADA)¡Ý Nature Aquarium See this link (offsite) for the USA distributor - ADA Substrate System

On additional substrata system is used. This is sort of a DIY process where you take garden soil and convert it to "mineralized mud" and use it with aquarium gravel. This is a rather complex process, and I wouldn't recommend it for a first attempt at a planted tank.

Planted tanks put the emphasis on the plants, rather then the fish, so the fish kept are usualy ones that do not eat plants, such as silver dollars, or plecos, and they don't use fish that will dig such as large cichlids.

Fish like tetras, rainbows, cory cats and so on are typical.

DaveK

Would this tank be big enough for a couple Jack Dempseys? What else would go good with Jack Dempseys?

You could do that if about all you wanted was a mated pair of them. They are colorful, but also very aggressive and territorial. Since you have a column tank there is not going to be enough room for much else.

You might get away with a couple pairs of the various dwarf cichlids.

PEMfish

Go with an over sized canister filter.

I would never say you anywhere near enough room a for a Jack.

hardtimes

I think I am going to just do a planted community tank. That is the original reason for the purchase. When I have an empty tank my mind starts wondering.

DaveK

I think I am going to just do a planted community tank. That is the original reason for the purchase. When I have an empty tank my mind starts wondering.

If your planning on doing this, I would recommend looking at one of more of the planted aquarium forums. They will have a lot more information on the subject that you'll get from RS. Not that RS is bad, but the members here are mostly SW reef keepers.

The goals of a planted tank are similar, but the way they are reached is much different.

For example, canister filters on a planted tank are just about ideal, but on a reef they are considered second rate. In a reef system we want to keep nitrates and phosphates as low as possible, but in a planted tank you'll often douse nitrates, potassium, and sometimes phosphates.

One name you see often when it comes to planted tanks is Takashi Amano. He is the guy behind ADA that I mentioned in my previous post. He just about remade the planted aquarium hobby because of his aquascape designs. His books are inspirational and show the results of what can be done, but don't get them expecting a step by step guide. The information is a bit sketchy.

hardtimes

Thanks for the tips Dave. I will have to check out some of his books. What ever I decide to do I will keep you all posted.
Thanks to all for the information.
Ray