Stocking a 60 gallon cube

ptbmaniac

I am back in the planning stages of a tank after a move cost me my RSM 250. It will be a while before I can get started again,but due to some space restrictions I am looking at a 60 gal cube. Nothing is set in stone yet. I am just looking for opinions on some fish.

MUST HAVES
Clowns X2(Ocellaris or Percs)
Firefish X1
Tailspot Blenny X1,
Yellowhead Jawfish x1

That is 5 fish all relativey small. Now I would be happy with just those,but a couple other fish I like are,
Yasha Goby(My fave is the YWG,but based on some research I don't think it would work in this setup. Opinons?)
Benggai Cardinal
I have seen 60 gal cubes with a lot more fish than that,but I don't agree with it. If I go with this setup should I stick with just the 5 or could I go with 1 or both of the other 2? It would be a reef tank with mostly softies,lps,and zoa's,
and whatever sump I could fit in the stand.

DaveK

Generally I'd say your selections are good. I'd recommend you think twice about the clows. They can become aggressive as they get larger, and many that you see being offered for sale are in very poor condition.

I prefer to put in groups of fish with something like a banggai cardnel, but this would devote a lot of tank space to a single species.

The fish your choosing are small, so I don't see an issue with the 5 you want. Adding the two others is doable in your case, but you are running the system a lot closer to the edge. A mistake or an event like a power failure could create a total loss.

I'd also recommend keeping the tank tightly covered, since jawfish and firefish are noted jumpers.

Note to others reading this post - In this case the op has selected small fish, so they can add a greater number than what I'd typically recommend. If your looking at something similar but with larger fish, I'd recommend only about 4 fish, each about 3 inches long

ptbmaniac

I am getting comments on other forums about lack of active fish,although I am actually fine with that. Another fish that I like that I know is active is the yellow assessor. Would that be ok if I added 1 of those instead of the cardinal if I decided to go that way?