Starting a desktop planted

rdwilson91

Yes... I purchased a 1 gallon glass vase, some firey red gravel, a few hydrophyte tubers, and will be adding cherry shrimp once things mature. After maintaining a small reef for a few months, the simplicity of freshwater and the fact that it costs pennies to maintain has been calling my name.

Edit: Alright the attachment thing didn't work, currently figuring out how to add pictures.

smkndrgn142

Just post a link from photobucket...it's really easy. That said, I've had the same idea for a while...want to start a planted tank in my 29...though it may just become my QT.

rdwilson91

09-05-10_2311.jpg

Vase-like object from TJ Maxx

09-05-10_2323.jpg

Way too powerful internal filter

09-05-10_2325.jpg

Using these bulbs and tubers from Petsmart

09-05-10_2333.jpg

Hoping this bulb eventually fills with water and sinks

The vase holds about a gallon and contains one resident, Clyde Frog, and a live moneywort plant. Little progress with the bulbs.

DaveK

Interesting project.

I recommend you get some different plants. Those TopFin bulbs, while a good product, grow some really large plants, For a project like this you want very small growing plants, look for ones that would be considered foreground plants in a large tank.

DaveK

Planted tanks are usually set up to look very natural, so the choice for substrata is usually an earth tone color, or white, or black. Colored gravel is almost never used. Some people refer to colored gravel as "clown barf".

However, this is more of an aesthetic choice, rather than a technical one.

rdwilson91

Haha. The filter is equipped for 30 gallons and causes insane turbulence. I did look yesterday for the smallest canister I could find because I would prefer an external filter.

I get it now! Let me explain my choice. I'm building this pico specifically for two or three cherry shrimp. I think the red gravel will be excellent to emphasize their coloration, which can fade away if they're exposed to neutral substrate.

Also, I'm using the bulbs because they can grow in just about any freshwater. I won't be able to have a legitimate planted tank because the only CO2 I can add comes in the form of fizzy tabs (doubt those will do sh*t), but I want something to look at while I facebook. I mean study.

DaveK

There are quite a few plants that can be grown in slightly brackish water. Most aquarium plants do not need CO2. It's true a pressurized CO2 system will really aid plant growth, but it's not needed to grow most plants. I would avoid plants that have a high light requirement.

Here is a link (offsite) to a place that sells plants suitable - Brackish Water Plants

Note, some of them will grow too large for container you plan.

rdwilson91

I'm not expecting much. They were four dollars, so if I get two plant it will be a good deal. I really care more about the aponogaeten more than the others. It seems like all the decent plants start around six or seven bucks and I want this to be pretty dense

Since I haven't been on in a while, imma put in my 2 cents.

I would go with this: Complete Aquarium Starter Kit: Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kit at PETCO

Ditch the rim, hood light, etc and keep the pump you're using. Then go to Walmart or the hardware store and get one of these work lights with a 6500k compact flourecent, throw in a DIY CO2 system, Flourite, some plants, and you have a good looking tank that doesn't take up that much space.

IMG_1360.jpg

More info is scattered through out my old thread: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...s-other-fw-builds-tank-things.html#post762002