Stacking Live Rock?

Grymatta

Hello. I'm thinking about starting a nano reef and have been reading up on it. I also got a new JBJ 12 gal nano deluxe cube.

All the pics Ive seen, the Live rock is stacked vertically on top of each other, and up against the back wall. I've read that youre supposed to get some distance from the back so you can clean it better. Is this really important? All the pics I've seen do not follow this rule.

I plan to order some LR online. Should i order nano LR or regular LR? I've heard that nano LR doesnt look so good in scale even though its sized to fit nano tanks.

also, do you need to use some sorta epoxy on the LR s? Or can you just place them on top of each other?

thanks

corvettephreek

all your questions are easily answered by opinion....

First, should you choose to stack your LR against the back wall, you may develop scratches in an acrylic tank. glass tanks do not scratch this easy. also, make sure there is not an absurd point of pressure on any given pane of glass in your tank. the glass CAN and WILL shatter. when stacking LR its important to place it on a sand bed or some eggcrate, or even a peice of cutting board or plastic to distribute the weight of the LR so it will not shatter any pane of glass, also be sure to not allow for "toppling" of LR. a falling peice of rock can result in broken glass... snails and some crustaceans, as well as some fish are to thank for this. epoxy or crazy glue work for placement of frags, but do not soley rely on this to keep the rock from being moved, as the bonds, if improperly done, will not last long. Doni (woodstock) uses a clay-type stuff that will cure underwater, you may want to try it, as it may be stronger than crazy glue. (IMO) placement helps when you determine how easy it will be to clean the tank in corners, the back pane, or getting absurd amounts of snail poop along the back wall of the tank. LOL. this does come in handy to remove as soon as possible.

Second, "nano" LR is only regular LR that is broken, or "cut" to fit in our small worlds of wonder. you can do this too with a concrete floor (clean) and some elbow grease. to break LR the way you want it to be broken, simply chisel the area you dont want off, or if you want a random peice to be formed, throw it against the floor.... (not your spouse) :D... the rubble helps also, as you can use it to "grow out" frags, shrooms, zoos, or place it in your filter for excellent denitrification properties. basically, get the LR YOU like. your not setting up a nano for anyone else, and if you like LR with small pores, get it. if you want it shaped a certain way, do it!!! LR is not "alive" and the only thing youll hurt is a hitchhiker maybe, or yourself if you throw the LR on your foot instead of the floor (happened to me, it hurts, trust me. :( ) when you order LR, get the LR you think will look best to you in your tank, whether its Tonga, Venutian, Fijian, or others, or even combinations!!!. since the LR will be shipped, you can easily epoxy peices together, form canyons, etc. before you place it in the tank, or after if it is going to be a big peice. a regular two-part epoxy that is safe for marine life should be used, and one last thing:

no matter what you do, have fun!!! youll love this hobby, and expect some great things to happen!!!

Grymatta

Wow thanks man!

I'm just a little nervouse since I've never brought LR before, esp from an online retailer. not sure what I'll get in the mail...tho it looks good in the website. also, since LR is the most imporant part of a nano reef I dont wanna mess it up..I'd rather not move the Lr once i have it set up.

I guess I'll buy the bigger pieces since its easier to break into smaller size than to glue small ones into a big piece..

Maybe I should browse around for pics on how other ppl set up their LR..