SPS growth

blythe

Hey everyone, FWIW, I just wanted to throw this out there.

While I didn't expect it, (and neither did very many other people I talked to), I have a few frags of an unidentified branching sps under PC's (130W over a 20 long) that is growing great. White tips and everything!!

Like I said, just thought people would like to know.

I'll throw up a pic in a bit.

ScottT1980

Yeah, looking foward to seeing the pictures. I got some great growth from some SPS spp. under my VHOs although I have purged almost all of them at this point (I just wanted a softy tank). That MH/SPS dogma, while it does have some value, is not wholly true IME.

Take er easy
Scott T.

Curtswearing

Correctamundo!!!

It is certainly helpful for a lot of them though. Some will do poorly and some will do fine and sometimes it just matters where you have it in the tank.

The fact that the tank is a 20 long is certainly helpful as the PC is intense enough for that depth.

I don't know how successful that same lighting setup would be on a 180 for growing SPS (although I have some ideas).

mps9506

I had good success with some sps growing under PC's in my 55 gallon. I had best luck with montis, but also got good growth from a hydnophora. The hydnophora was fairly brown however from zooxanthelle growth...
It's all about choosing the correct corals that will do well under your setup.
I keep wondering how these "deepwater" acros that have been showing up lately would do under vho's or PC's? I've never really looked at the PAR difference between a 20k Halide and a set of VHO's or PC's....
Mike

blythe

ok, the pics are not coming out as I had planned. I will keep working though and post soon. Sorry.:smirk:

blythe

Yeah, I am sure that it is due to the shallow depth. I wouldn'treally trust them to get sps growing in anything much taller. THanks for the input everyone. I'll get the pics working.

birdman204

I have seen montipora digitata frags grow under just 32 w of pc quite well and colorful I might add. Do you know what sp. we're looking at blythe? I too experienced fairly good growth under PC's. Over a foot deep and you are running into shady areas. But hey, I keep SPS in a nano, I love pushing the envelope! 14.5 Watts per gallon, SURE!!! :p