sponge?

jks1

I think this is some sort of sponge, but it has grown on the top of a rock under direct 150W HQI MH lights, any clue????

Attachments

• redeye2.jpg
    redeye2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 49

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It sure looks like one. A pretty red :)

I see you have bubble aglae too! I remove lots and lots from my tank... I'm starting to think of it like a nutrient export:rolleyes:

jks1

yeah i pull it out w/ tweesers about once a week, it is localised on that polyp rock- thank God!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You are lucky! Mine is everywhere and thriving since I sold my large blue tang :( . It used to keep it mowed down well.

ReefLady

Staff member
I had one very similar to that, I believe it was a tunicate. I'm sure Boomer will be along shortly to correct me if I'm mistaken. :D

Steve Tyree

Hello,

I have worked with quite a few sponges and sea squirts. Its difficult to determine exactly what you have from the image (focus). However, it does appear that there is a large aperature (sea squirt) or osculum (sponge) in the lower or side of the organism. There also might be one on the top, but it is difficult to tell. The typical configuration for a sea squirt is to have a branchial aperature (siphon) on the top and a atrial aperature (siphon) on the side or lower area. The way to definitly determine what you have is to lightly poke it with a piece of rigid airline tubing. If the organism contracts, it is a sea squirt. A solitary bright pink sea squirt is a nice animal to have in your reef. Prefers to consume phytoplankton and fine particulates.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I'm sure Boomer will be along shortly to correct me if I'm mistaken.

No correction needed. I'm 99 % sure it is a Tunicate. It even looks very much like one of the Pyrua sp , such as confragosa rather than one of the more common Polycarpa sp

Here is an example only the Pyura confragosse is more elongated,

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/page.cgi?list=Sponges&slide=186.jpg

It is really nice to see Steve here. Your name fits him "Tunicate". Steve my books are falling apart :(

Last edited: