spaghetti worm?

I can't get a picture because I would need a really good zoom so I will try my best to describe this "thing".

Out of the live rock there appears to be about 4 - 5 strands which are visibly ribbed, white and either deep red or black. They sway in the water. I did not notice them until we turned the rock on it's side (leaving the side to be hit by the light directly). This rock has only been in our tank for just over a week. In total I have found about 4 of these things all at the same time. I don't see the strands grabbing anything and pulling it into the centre. I have looked up info on spaghetti worms - these guys are thicker then hair - maybe the thickness of this letter: l -even thicker at the base maybe and currently about 2cm long. I haven't seen them disappear - but also haven't really had the time the last couple of days to just sit and watch the little buggers.

Any thoughts, links, or pics that you may know of?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Does it look like the worms in this pic?

Medusa worm (Loimia medusa) --- aka: spaghetti worm
Spaghetti_worms.jpg

yes.....much smaller and more defined contrasting colours. Thanks so much. Now I have a word to search with other than spaghetti worm. I found everything else but what I was looking for.:bouncebox

um.....why are they being compared to the cucumbers?????One site stated they were just as toxic!!!! Is this true? How am I going to remove all of them when they are IN the rock? :bugout:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hummm... not sure what you're reading but I have tons of spaghetti worms throughout my rock and sandbed with no issues.

when I did a search for a medusa worm that is some of the info I got. When I look up Terrabelid - I get more of what I am looking for.

I just wanted to make sure these guys are good guys and wont go after anything. My tank is still cycling so nothing is in it right now.

I really appreciate you help. Oh, will these guys make it through the cycle. Next Tuesday will be the end of week two for our cycle.

Sorry for the questions!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
They are harmless ditritus eaters. They will probably make it through the cycle fine. Mine seem to be very hardy since they lived through my 30 cube's cycle.

BoomerD

The only negative about them, is that their sweeper strands can irritate corals into not opening. Many zoanthid people call them "irritaters", and don't want them in their tanks.
main.php

"What is a Zoanthid Irritaters?
Last updated 2006.02.12

A Zoanthid Irritater is something that can irritate a Zoanthid for long periods of time, causing it to close, and eventually kill the Zoanthid. I'm not talking about a Hermit crab that crawls across a Zoanthid colony. No worries, he's in and out in a minute. Or a fish that swims by - again, they'll open and close fairly quickly. An example is something with sweeping tentacles that don't eat Zoanthids, but will rest their tentacles o­n a Zoanthid for long periods of time causing it to remain closed and eventually kill it. Some of these critters have stinging tentacles as well which compound to the problem. It should be noted that not all Irritaters effect all Zoanthids! Some seem immune while others fall victim... "

Unfortunately, as you see in the pic above, spaghetti worms fall into this category...Personally, I never had any problem with them, and had scads of them in my tanks, but just so you know, not everyone shares Woody's and my opinion of them...

How do you get rid of them - should they start to cause problems? Right now mine are just swaying in the wind! I have not seen them move at all other then with the current and they are not lying flat but are straight up.

SoliSteve

At least it shows that your tank is healthy and you have some good growth in there. They are generally harmless but, as noted above, can "irritate" Zoe's depending upon the type of both species. If they are causing your softies to stay closed, not feed or open and close, then you can try to scrub them off or cover the tube openings with Coral Glue.